European IT Student Gains Insight into Global Industry and Problem Solving

For Andreas Kirchhofer, a senior business consultant and project manager for an information technology and communications company, earning a master’s degree has opened whole new worlds—literally.

Although Andreas already had a degree in computer science from the University of Applied Sciences, Augsburg, in Germany, he felt that an additional level of education would boost his business acumen as well as his understanding of international commerce. The uncertainty created by Europe’s current Bologna process, which involves reconciling different academic and degree standards throughout the nations there, drove him to explore overseas institutions rather than those closer to home.

“I wanted to get a master’s degree from an accredited American university, well-accepted by international companies,” said Andreas, who lives in Neuburg, Germany, with his wife and young son. “The Master of Science Information Systems from American Sentinel University matched perfectly for me.”

With strong support from his family and his boss, he took the plunge. “It’s definitely a challenge to manage a demanding job, your family and to start a study in the States, while you are a non-native speaker,” he said. “But I like challenges!”

Gaining a wider world view

As a member of a task team that works to define business rules along international standards, Andreas has found his American Sentinel experience—which, in addition to the course work, has allowed him to interact with classmates around the globe—invaluable. “One of the hot topics in the information systems [field] has been internationalization and globalization,” he said.

His studies, he added, have also enhanced his ability to consider workplace dilemmas from a commercial as well as technical, perspective. “Whenever I managed to achieve new skills in a course, I directly transferred [them] into my daily job life,” he said. “It helps me in providing some formal tools I can use in business, as well as keeping my technical knowledge current. I hope to be able to solve problems for international customers.”

Looking toward a bright future

“It’s overwhelming for me to see a copy of my master’s diploma framed in burl wood [on] the wall in front of me, here in my home office,” said Andreas, who hopes to go on to earn his Ph.D.

And he’s eager for the next step in his American Sentinel journey: commencement.

“I think the most rewarding experience is still to come,” he said. When he and his family travel to Denver for the ceremony, he’ll have a much-awaited chance to meet and celebrate with classmates, instructors and American Sentinel staff.

As thanks to his wife and son for their support throughout his intensive course of study, he’s planned an extended vacation during their time in the States, first to Orlando, Fla., and then throughout the Midwest.

Andreas enthusiastically recommends American Sentinel University to colleagues in his industry. “It won’t be easy,” Andreas said. “But if you really want it, you can achieve it. Do it. Don’t wait. American Sentinel is a great university in my eyes, providing great support and a good and sound value.”

Gaining a wider world view

Looking toward a bright future

“I think the most rewarding experience is still to come,” he said. When he

Gaining a wider world view

Looking toward a bright future

and his family travel to Denver for the ceremony, he’ll have a much-awaited chance to meet and celebrate with classmates, instructors and American Sentinel staff.

affordable online degree programs