Veterans Day, A Day to Thank A Veteran

At American Sentinel University, we are proud of our connection with the service men and women of this country. We take pride in offering military education benefits to active-duty military, non-active duty members, veterans and military spouses. This is our small way of honoring the personal sacrifices of soldiers, marines, sailors, airmen and women, coast guardsmen and women and the families that support them.

We know that without service men and women’s willingness to maintain position in a muddy foxhole in the pouring rain or to maneuver a submarine through powerful waves or pilots flying through skies as bombs burst in air that our learning institution may not have the power to educate a free population.

Nobody knew that the treatment of our veterans was instrumental to our country’s success better than President George Washington, who said: “The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation.”

Veterans Day

World War I ended with the implementation of an armistice between the Allies and Germany at the eleventh hour of the 11th day of November, 1918. A year later, President Woodrow Wilson created the first Armistice Day. Wilson said: “To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations.”

The original concept for the celebration was for the suspension of business for a two-minute period beginning at 11 A.M., with the day also marked by parades and public meetings. In 1954, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed into law legislation that renamed Armistice Day “Veterans Day.”

Today, it stands as a powerful reminder of the sacrifices veterans make.

American Sentinel University students include many veterans from peacetime, as well as past and present wars. To all those who served, we thank you.

Veterans Day events are taking place all over the country. To find one near you, visit VA.gov’s Veterans Day website.

American Sentinel University Military and Veterans

A large percentage of our student body is military or former military. Here are a few we’d like to honor today for their service and continuing education desires.

Brian, a Former Marine Fulfills Lifelong Dream by Pursuing Bachelor’s Degree. When Brian graduated from high school in 1994, he went off to college—something he’d wanted to do since he was a kid. But after two semesters at Churchman Business School, Brian was overwhelmed. “I was working two jobs, going to school full time, and it was just too hard,” he says. “Things didn’t work out.”

Staff Sgt. Gregg Kimbell Sees Bright GIS Future. Kimbell is currently serving in the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division. He joined the military to pay for school and wanted to better himself personally and professionally.

Warren, a National Guardsman Pursues an MSN. “My mom was a nursing assistant her entire career, so I was drawn to it,” says Warren. “I took a health sciences class, and a couple of professors told me I had a knack for it.” In 2006, Warren earned his BSN, but he always had his sights set on an MSN.

Joshua St. John, Airmen Challenges Himself. “I am the only one in my family to even enroll in a master’s degree, and I will be the first one to receive it,” Joshua says. “I never thought I would get [a college-level degree]. And now that I have one, I look at it as a goal for my kids.”

Scott Fierro, GIS Superstar. U.S. Army Sgt. and American Sentinel University student Scott Fierro fell in love with Geographic Information Systems technology during the Army’s Advanced Individual Training at the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. “Since then I have dedicated myself to learning as much about GIS as possible,” Fierro says.

Staff Sgt. Aaron Eden Finds His Dream. “The military puts a strong emphasis on furthering your education,” Aaron says.

To read more about American Sentinel University’s military connection, follow our military blog.

Military