Amy Wolfe, BSN

Geisinger Surgical Nurse Secures Her Future with BSN

A love of helping others may very well run in Amy Wolfe’s family.

With her mother and grandmother both working as nurses, following in those same footsteps felt natural for Amy, a native of central Pennsylvania. After high school, she completed the RN program at Geisinger School of Nursing and began her career at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, PA. As part of Geisinger Health System, one of the country’s largest rural health service organizations, Geisinger offered Amy no shortage of opportunities. She started in medical surgical, and moved to Geisinger Outpatient Surgery, a perianesthesia care unit, in 2003. Her mom, in fact, works in the surgery center as well.

Planning her future

In 2011, Amy started thinking about returning to school—something she had been contemplating for many years. As an educational partner of American Sentinel, several of her Geisinger colleagues and nurse leadership members urged her to consider the university. “Geisinger offers wonderful educational benefits and encourages nurses to pursue higher education,” says Amy. “I know that there may come a time when I want to move away from the bedside, and the BSN will help give me a broad understanding of many different areas.” Amy enrolled in American Sentinel’s BSN program in 2011.

A degree program to fit her life

Like many students, Amy has many priorities outside of her school endeavors: raising a daughter, holding down a household, and of course, working full time. She and her husband also run a family restaurant—the fourth generation on her husband’s side to do so. As a casual restaurant with an ice cream and frozen dessert drive-up, the restaurant is busiest in summers, which means Amy spends her weekends and evenings managing the business. “The fact is that American Sentinel’s online program makes it possible for me to go to school,” she says. “I’m able to take summers off and take two classes a year. Flexibility has been a huge reason the program has worked well for me.” Amy will graduate in 2016 after much hard work and dedication.

Support at every turn

Amy says the American Sentinel program came recommended—and it has definitely met her expectations. “The classes have been so interesting and very helpful to expand my knowledge,” she says. “We use current literature in all of our classes, and I’ve been enjoying using what I know at work in school and vice versa.”

As someone who needed school to integrate seamlessly into her busy life, the support has also been a shining point of Amy’s American Sentinel experience. “The student success advisers have been fabulous every step of the way, and I cannot say enough about instructors like Linda Marcuccilli, who has been excellent.”

Applause from family as nursing has changed

Geisinger Health System celebrates its 100-year anniversary this year, having grown from a small, rural hospital to a national health system. During her 22-year career there, Amy has certainly seen her share of changes as well. And as she enters the home stretch of her educational journey, she says it has meant the world to receive the support of her mother and grandmother, who know well how important this achievement is for her career. “They’ve experienced personally the advances that nursing has made,” she says. “They’ve inspired me to better myself and earn the education I need to succeed in this time of significant change in healthcare.

Inspired by Amy’s story? A BSN is ideal for nurses who want to expand their knowledge base, become more marketable and enjoy greater career stability and mobility. Specialized knowledge forms the foundation of nursing and when you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes.

American Sentinel University is an innovative, accredited provider of online nursing degrees,  including an RN to BSN program and advanced degree programs that prepare nurses for a specialty in case management, infection control, and executive leadership.

BSN student stories Geisinger