Team American Sentinel: Carmen Nightengale

Each Friday we will be introducing you to one player on the American Sentinel University team. Everyone works hard to make sure our students reach their goals through supporting students and constantly improving our curriculum. When our students graduate with a relevant, innovative healthcare degree we all win!

Meet Carmen Nightengale, Student Success Advisor

What is your favorite Thanksgiving food?

My family has the BEST cooks and that makes Thanksgiving that much more exciting! My sister makes prime rib every year which basically melts in your mouth. My Grandpa Petrie makes the most amazing gravy this side of the Mississippi. It’s most likely 1,200 calories per tablespoon but since it’s Thanksgiving, calories don’t count. Before my Grandma Nightengale passed away she used to make this DELICIOUS fruit salad that my eight-year-old self so eloquently deemed “pink stuff.” It’s basically Cool Whip with fruit, and the maraschino cherries made the Cool Whip a pink color. Also 1,000+ calories, but it’s Thanksgiving so…we all know my philosophy on that! Finally, I make the best green bean casserole known to man, thanks to Paula Deen. I make it every year and have been perfecting it now for a while. It’s what dreams are made of.

What is your go-to song to sing in the shower, or perform at karaoke?

Karaoke is a favorite pastime of mine and something I have been succeeding at for half a decade now. Back in my youth, I was basically queen of karaoke. I have multiple go-to songs because there really is no point in having just one. The following are sung by me at any given night out at karaoke and are guaranteed crowd pleasers:

Who is your hero?

Most people who know me well can already guess my answer. My dad passed away back in August 2013 and is by far my hero – he always will be. I am the youngest daughter of three and grew up very much as a tom-boy. My dad and I were always best friends. He always took me to Denver Broncos and Denver Nuggets’ games. We golfed together and played basketball together. He was the person I always looked up to – he taught me about hard work and perseverance. My family has not always had the most money, but despite him having to work two jobs at times, he always came home with a smile on his face, and reminded me that the most important thing is family.

I remember going through a tough time in college and got a call from my dad. I was too scared to answer because I thought he was going to lecture me. He left me a voice message (I was scared to listen to that too) and rather than tell me how he was disappointed, or how much I messed up, all he said was that he’ll love me no matter what mistakes I make, and that he’d always be there for me. I’ll never forget that message for as long as I live.

After he lost his battle with cancer, I genuinely didn’t know how I was going to make it without him. He always impacted my life in such a positive way that it seemed impossible to move forward. His funeral was the moment I realized that he was my ultimate hero. Over 400 people showed up to the church where it was held. Seeing the number of people there to support my family and to show their love for him made me realize how large an impact he had made on everyone he met. I strive every single day to add positivity to the lives of everyone I meet, just like he did. I think that would make him proud.

If you could meet any president living or dead, who would it be?

President Barack Obama.

What’s your favorite part about your position at American Sentinel?

I absolutely love being in the Student Success department at American Sentinel! I love that I have the freedom to manage my students the way that I feel is most beneficial. I love my managers and my teammates. It’s a fun and happy environment and I’m happy I’ve been here as a part of this organization as long as I have.

More than that, I love the feeling I get when I can really support students. I’m not talking about just helping them with registrations, course planning with them, or any of that administrative work. All that is great, but there really is nothing like making a student feel valued and heard. When students call me with real issues; when they’re overwhelmed or when they just need someone to listen, I love knowing that I was there for them in a time of need. I love knowing that there is so much value to being a Student Success Advisor and the amount of positive impact I can have on someone’s educational experience.

What would the title of your autobiography be?

Control Alt Delete.

Have you dreamed of earning your BSN, MSN or DNP? With American Sentinel, you can make that dream a reality.

Read the other Meet the Team articles to learn more about the American Sentinel team.

Subscribe to receive upcoming articles via email.

MBA Meet the Team