Team American Sentinel: Jay Kim

Team American Sentinel: Jay Kim

Each Friday we will be introducing you to one player on the American Sentinel University team. Everyone works hard to make sure our students reach their goals through supporting students and constantly improving our curriculum. When our students graduate with a relevant, innovative healthcare degree we all win!

If your life was made into a movie, what actor would you like to play you?

I’ve always thought my sense of humor was one of my more defining characteristics (at least that is what my wife says), so I would say someone like Jimmy Fallon. I like that he embraces his inner “nerd,” and can laugh at himself when needed. 

What is your favorite holiday tradition?

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. The food, the family, friends, and the football – what more could you ask for? Going back to my sophomore year in college, I have always hosted a Thanksgiving dinner for my friends and family. I enjoy waking up early to get the turkey and sides together, and then watching everyone enjoy the food and company. My mom always loved to bring people together with food, so I must have picked this up from her. 

What is your favorite part of working at American Sentinel University?

I really enjoy working with our students. My family has quite a bit of experience in the healthcare field; my father used to practice as a doctor, and both my mother and sister are practicing nurses. I understand the value of continued education for our healthcare professionals, and so being able to assist our students in reaching these goals is very fulfilling. 

I also enjoy the people I work with at American Sentinel. I feel like helping our students is something everyone here is focused on; and having so many people sharing a common goal is a fun environment to come into every day. 

What is your favorite quote or motto?

Never give up, never surrender.” Although this quote is from a movie that few people have seen (“Galaxy Quest“) and I originally started out saying it as somewhat of a joke, it really embodies how I try to live my life today. Like many difficult things in life, if you believe you are not going to succeed then you probably won’t. So by telling yourself that giving up is not an option, you can really amaze yourself at what you can accomplish.

What song are you currently grooving to?

I really like pretty much ALL types of music. One day I can be in the mood to listen to country music, and then the next day, I’ll be into classic rock. I also find it hard to change the radio when a 90’s alternative or hip hop song comes on that I used to “groove” to back in the day!

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily grooving music, but like a lot of people, I have been listening to Adele’s new record “25” lately. I love her musicality and tone of her voice.

If you could travel anywhere, where would you go?

I would like to go back and visit my family in South Korea. I was nine years old the last time I was there, and that was the last time I’ve seen some of my aunts and uncles. Also, I would really like my kids to be able to visit so they could learn more about their heritage. 

And let’s not forget the food! I am someone who loves food, and will plan a vacation around food. Although it was a long time ago, I still remember how great the street food was that my grandmother used to get for me. I could really go for some jjajjang-myun right now! 

Have you dreamed of earning your BSN, MSN or DNP? With American Sentinel, you can make that dream a reality.

Read the other Meet the Team articles to learn more about the American Sentinel team.

Subscribe to receive upcoming articles via email.

Meet the Team