Staff-Spotlight-David-Herrera-Blog-Banner1

Team American Sentinel: David Herrera

Each Friday we will be introducing you to one player on the American Sentinel University team. Everyone works hard to make sure our students reach their goals through supporting students and constantly improving our curriculum. When our students graduate with a relevant, innovative healthcare degree we all win!

Meet David Herrera, Financial Aid Advisor

What is your favorite holiday tradition?

For the last three years, my family and I have been privileged to volunteer on Christmas Day, delivering Meals on Wheels to those less fortunate who many not have family or friends and who otherwise would not have anybody to share Christmas with – the joy and happiness that they express when we visit is truly immeasurable and it honestly does more for us than them.

What is your favorite genre of film?

Horror. Haha! Since I was very little, I have enjoyed watching the scariest movies I can find. I think the excitement and novelty of being scared is what draws me to those movies. Plus most of the scary movies out there are genuinely funnier than the comedies.

How did you end up working in advanced education?

I applied for a position in the financial aid department at another university, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I wanted to expand my opportunities and knowledge in financial aid and was hired on at American Sentinel University almost five years ago, and I’ve never looked back.

What is your favorite part about working at American Sentinel?

The excitement of being able to make dreams come true on a daily basis. I meet a lot of students and everyone has a different motivation for enrolling with us; sometimes that wouldn’t be possible without the assistance from financial aid. Knowing that I am able to help them achieve their dreams, well how does it get better than that?

What thought or message would you want to put in a fortune cookie?

Adversity is the parent of virtue.

What award would you love to win and for what achievement?

I think I just want to know I did my best as a father and husband. I think knowing that would make me feel most successful.

Have you dreamed of earning your BSN, MSN or DNP? With American Sentinel, you can make that dream a reality.

Read the other Meet the Team articles to learn more about the American Sentinel team.

Subscribe to receive upcoming articles via email.

Meet the Team