Marcie Delgado, MSN, Nursing Informatics Student

Texas Nurse with Varied Experience Works Toward MSN, Nursing Informatics

From a young age, Marcie Delgado knew that she would become a nurse. “My grandmother always told me I’d be great at nursing,” says Marcie, a Florida native. With a passion for caring for others and a lot of empathy for people in need, Marcie started a nursing associate degree program at Santa Fe Community College in Gainesville in 1984. She started her career in oncology and earned ONC certification, and later took a position for a physician-owned home infusion company, caring for patients she had worked with in the hospital to provide their infusion needs at home.

Gaining a wealth of experience

For six years, Marcie worked for some of the nation’s largest home infusion companies to provide direct and indirect care, often educating other clinicians in Florida about intravenous therapy. While Marcie was raising children, she stepped away from the bedside to work in utilization review and case management, consulting with hospitals and other healthcare organizations to maximize the quality and cost efficiency of their services. “I missed the bedside, though, so I decided I wanted to go back into working with a large infusion team,” she says.

Marcie worked on and off for Florida Hospital for many years on the venous access services team, moving around the state for her husband’s job. She helped the organization open the venous access services suite, an outpatient service at Florida Hospital-Orlando Campus. In 2012, she left for an opportunity to help open Nemours Children’s Hospital, a nonprofit hospital that cares for 250,000 children each year.

Time for further education

In 2013, Marcie took time away from the workforce to deal with some personal matters regarding her autistic son’s care. She did some soul searching, and recalled conversations she’d had with supervisors at Florida Hospital when she left there. “I knew I would need the BSN to return to work and I took the opportunity to pursue something during a hard personal time,” she says. “I’d always wanted to do it, but never had the time. Since my child was older, I finally had the time to attend to his issues and also go to school.”

Marcie did her research and found American Sentinel University. “What I liked about American Sentinel is that it didn’t matter where I live—basically the outskirts of Orlando—and it made a lot of financial sense,” she says, adding that many of her general education classes from her first degree were accepted as transfer credits. Marcie decided to do the RN to MSN program, and threw herself into her classes. “School gave me something to put my energy toward during a really difficult time. It saved me.”

A big career change

In 2015, Marcie started a new adventure: moving to Austin, Texas, and taking a job as a clinician education consultant.

She works for Novasyte, which supplies nurse clinicians to medical companies that sell their medical devices and diagnostic equipment to hospitals. Her client is Baxter Medical, so Marcie represents them at hospitals around the country. “We support Baxter by educating clinicians through product implementation and launch to ensure they are successful with the products they use,” she says.

Making an impact on healthcare through nursing informatics

As she nears graduation with the MSN, nursing informatics specialization, Marcie says her career goal remains the same as it was 29 years ago when she became a nurse: to advocate for the patient. “I’ve learned to be a better facilitator of that through my MSN,” Marcie says. One day, Marcie plans to explore opportunities to facilitate expanding informatics usage within IV therapy/venous access. “I know that whether I use informatics in my next job or it just bolsters my knowledge, it is something that helps improve patient care overall.” 

Inspired by Marcie’s story? An MSN program can be your passport to a specialty nursing field, like nursing educationinformatics, nursing management and organizational leadership, or infection control. Specialized knowledge forms the foundation of these nursing fields. When you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes.

Read the other student success stories for more inspiration.

Subscribe to receive upcoming articles via our e-newsletter, The Sentinel Watch.

MSN MSN student stories nursing informatics success-stories