Team American Sentinel: Melissa Penner, RN, DNP, MSN, MATL, CNE

Each Friday we will be introducing you to one player on the American Sentinel University team. Everyone works hard to make sure our students reach their goals through supporting students and constantly improving our curriculum. When our students graduate with a relevant, innovative healthcare degree we all win!

Meet Assistant Professor for Nursing, Melissa Penner, RN, DNP, MSN, MATL, CNE

What is your favorite part of being a nurse educator?

Participating in the process of student growth and witnessing the transformation is gratifying and inspiring. As nurses, we have the potential to make a profound impact on each of our patients. As a nurse educator, there is a ripple effect because each student we engage with will impact a multitude of patients, families, and communities. 

What is your favorite song, or musical artist?

Michael Jackson is my all-time favorite artist. “Bohemian Rhapsody,” “Imagine,” “Don’t Stop Believing,” and “Sweet Child of Mine” are among my favorite songs. 

What is your favorite inspirational quote?

I have two. “I attribute my success to this – I never gave or took any excuse.” – Florence Nightingale and “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” – Zig Ziglar. 

What is your favorite part about your position with American Sentinel?

Utilizing innovative educational approaches to interact with our licensed nurses. Each student brings unique perspectives and diverse practice experiences to our course work, which helps me to grow as a practitioner. I am an Associate’s degree-prepared nurse and I went back to earn my BSN, so I traveled a similar academic path as many of our students. 

What is something that your co-workers might be surprised to find out about you?

I only have one kidney. It was removed when I was three and I can still remember the caring nurses that were there to reassure and comfort me during my lengthy hospitalization. 

What is your favorite part of Spring?

I really enjoy the daylight lasting a little longer each day and getting out to walk the trails and go to parks. I always look forward to opening the windows, hearing the birds chirp and seeing vibrant pops of color in nature. 

Have you dreamed of earning your BSN, MSN or DNP? With American Sentinel, you can make that dream a reality.

Read the other Meet the Team articles to learn more about the American Sentinel team.

Subscribe to receive upcoming articles via email.

DNP Meet the Team Nursing