Dr. Judy Burckhardt, Dean of Nursing and Healthcare Programs for American Sentinel University breaks down her favorite aspects of being a nurse for Nurses Week 2016.
Top 10 Best Things About Being a Nurse
- There are always open positions for nurses.
- One day at work is never like the previous day so you are never bored.
- You can see the results of your care as your patients improve and go home.
- You are able to help people in need in the most unusual situations (e.g., you are chaperoning a teenage fun night and one of the boys falls and fractures his arm, you splint it and send him to the ED).
- Hearing your parents brag to their friends that you are a nurse.
- You have a variety of areas and positions in which you can work.
- You have opportunities to interact with people who are in need of physical and emotional support.
- You are an agent of change for your patients, your family and your community.
- When people ask you what you do and you tell them you are a nurse, they look at you with newfound respect.
- The way that some patients and their families love, thank, and invite you into their lives.