Team American Sentinel: Susan Thomas, MSN, RN

Each Friday we will be introducing you to one player on the American Sentinel University team. Everyone works hard to make sure our students reach their goals through supporting students and constantly improving our curriculum. When our students graduate with a relevant, innovative healthcare degree we all win!

Meet Assistant Professor for Nursing, Susan Thomas, MSN, RN

What is your favorite part of being a nurse educator?

My passion for teaching began while I was in nursing school some 20 years ago.  It was further fueled by the excellent nurses I worked with while I was a novice nurse.  The faculty and nurses that mentored me into the nurse/nurse educator I am today showed me that encouraging, caring, and truly helping me transition from a student into the professional nurse role provided a strong, stable foundation upon which I have built my career. The best part about teaching is “moving this passion for nursing forward” to all the students I come into contact with as they move through their learning journey.

What is your favorite movie or TV show?

My favorite movie is “The Notebook” because it demonstrates that true love is truly forever.

What is your favorite inspirational quote?

This is easy for me as I have two of which I use in my courses. “Let us never consider ourselves finished nurses…we must be learning all of out lives.” – Florence Nightingale and “Education is learning what you did not even know…what you did not know” – Daniel Boorstin.

What is your favorite part about your position with American Sentinel?

My favorite part about teaching at American Sentinel University is that I get to help students learn concepts normally not thought about during their daily work; however, after learning, will change their “lens” or view of their practice as a nurse.  I also encourage students to take their new knowledge back to their practice and share with others.  In the end, I am hoping students will understand the point of furthering their education and the importance of achieving the BSN…not just that it was a requirement by their work but rather it changed the way in which they work.  In addition, I hope that the educational journey here at American Sentinel will help them be able to articulate the “why” or the rationale for the achieving the BSN degree so that others will join to further their education thereby strengthening the profession of nursing – this is truly why I teach at American Sentinel University.

What is something that your co-workers might be surprised to find out about you?

I love to go fishing!

What is your favorite thing to outside work?

Spend time with family, play tennis, and work out (running and lifting weights). 

Have you dreamed of earning your BSN, MSN or DNP? With American Sentinel, you can make that dream a reality.

Read the other Meet the Team articles to learn more about the American Sentinel team.

Subscribe to receive upcoming articles via email.

Meet the Team MSN