Team American Sentinel: Heather Black

Team American Sentinel: Catie Long

Each Friday we will be introducing you to one player on the American Sentinel University team. Everyone works hard to make sure our students reach their goals through supporting students and constantly improving our curriculum. When our students graduate with a relevant, innovative healthcare degree we all win!

Meet Student Success Advisor, Catie Long

If you were a healthcare worker, what area would you like to work in (pediatrics, emergency, etc.)?

I think working as a Case Manager in healthcare would best fit my personality and skill set! The responsibility of a Case Manager means being an advocate and providing options to the patients you are working with. You have to be resourceful, have excellent communication skills, be empathetic, and genuinely enjoy helping others. You have to make a strenuous and stressful situation, like recovery from surgery and treatment plans, less bumpy and provide hope to those you are assisting.  I enjoy helping anyone I meet. I love being able to find resources and solutions for the best outcome for a less than ideal situation. Overall, I love being able to help those who need it the most. 

What is your favorite movie or TV show?

I absolutely love “Parks and Recreation!” I re-watch episodes on Netflix all the time. It’s pretty safe to say that Ron Swanson has the best quotes of any character, such as “there has never been a sadness that can’t be cured by breakfast food.” This holds true for me personally most of the time. 

What is your favorite motivational quote?

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.” – Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

This quote helps me keep perspective when life gets hard and I feel stuck. I know that every challenge and detour I take in life will only get me to where I want to be (or where I should be) eventually. Never give up hope!

What is your favorite part of your role with American Sentinel University?

Just as I said about being Case Manager, I really love being able to provide my students resources and solutions. I feel accomplished as an advisor when I have helped a student overcome a struggle, point them in the right direction, and when my students share personal accomplishments with me. When I get to hear more about my student’s personal life I feel as though I have gained their trust.

Being a Student Success Advisor means I get to be part of someone’s educational journey. It’s such an honor to be part of that journey. My mom is a nurse as well so I understand where my students are coming from with the demands of finding a balance with work, school, and family/loved ones. Ultimately, my favorite part of being an Advisor is that I get to be proud of these hardworking professionals who happen to be my students. 

If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?

I could be happy with just eating eggs benedict with salmon for the rest of my life. Breakfast/brunch is my favorite meal of the day. I’m not big into sweets and I enjoy a savory meal. Also, you get a whole bunch of protein! Very important to consume nutrient dense food in your diet! 

What are you most excited for this summer?

I’m most excited for hiking and checking out the local attractions. I’m from Florida and though we do have nature trails they do not compare to hiking opportunities here in Colorado! My personal goal is to hike a new trail every Saturday (weather permitting) until it starts snowing again (which hopefully won’t be for a long time!). I’m also looking forward to my birthday! My birthday is in July so I’m excited to celebrate with the new friends I have made here! 

Have you dreamed of earning your BSN, MSN or DNP? With American Sentinel, you can make that dream a reality.

Read the other Meet the Team articles to learn more about the American Sentinel team.

Subscribe to receive upcoming articles via email.

Meet the Team