Team American Sentinel: Helen Timothy

Team American Sentinel: Helen Timothy

Each Friday we will be introducing you to one player on the American Sentinel University team. Everyone works hard to make sure our students reach their goals through supporting students and constantly improving our curriculum. When our students graduate with a relevant, innovative healthcare degree we all win!

Meet Manager of Marcomm and Content Marketing, Helen Timothy

What is your favorite book, or favorite author?

Yikes, that’s a hard question. I don’t have a favorite book, but I have several go-to authors that I get really excited about when I hear they have a new book coming out. Some of my favorite authors are Dennis Lehane, Christopher Moore, and Alex Grecian. I love pretty much all genres, but I especially like thrillers and mysteries. I love to read, and I spend way too much time perusing for new books on Goodreads

What is your favorite part about your position with American Sentinel University?

I absolutely love the people I work with – it is such a blast to come into work every day. Not only is everyone friendly, bright, and hard working; but each person is so dedicated to helping our students succeed, whether that’s advising, planning curricula, helping with financial issues, or celebrating students’ achievements – everyone is really there for the students. I also LOVE commencement each June. It’s so incredible to watch people celebrate their hard work and to hear all the families shout out “I love you Mom,” and other calls of encouragement when their loved ones walk across that stage. It makes me so proud to know these students and to work with American Sentinel. 

What is your favorite movie?

We didn’t have cable growing up, so my parents raised my sister and I on classic movies rented from the library. My favorite without a doubt is “The Philadelphia Story” with Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant, and Jimmy Stewart. I even had a pet gerbil when I was nine named “C.K. Dexter Haven” after Grant’s character, you know, like all little nine-year-olds do. 

What would be your dream job?

I’m pretty lucky in that I have a job I love in the field I studied at school and I really love it. But, I would have to say my ultimate dream job would be to be a professional event planner or White House Press Secretary. I love throwing parties, I am that person that gets REALLY excited about all holidays and birthdays and Pinterest is a border-line problem for me. The dream to be the press secretary for the president was born of watching “The West Wing” with my mom when I was little – I thought C.J Cregg was the best. I have always loved politics and am a news junkie, much to the chagrin of my husband, since I tend to yell at the television watching CNN the way most people would scream during a basketball game. 

What is your favorite quote?

I have a Maya Angelou quote as my desktop background on my computer that reads, “nothing will work unless you do.” I love this quote because even on days where it feels like nothing is going right, and I’m feeling helpless; it reminds me that I have the power to change my circumstance and that I just need to get back up again and try harder. 

What is your favorite part of summer?

I am a total water baby and love nothing more than swimming. My favorite part of summer is being able to jump into as many pools and lakes as possible. I grew up swimming in Lake Michigan and while I love Colorado, I miss the great lakes. My amazing husband found a list of all the lakes near us in Colorado to help fill the void. I’d love to swim in every lake on the list! My big goal this summer is to get our dog Pip into swimming. 

Have you dreamed of earning your BSN, MSN or DNP? With American Sentinel, you can make that dream a reality.

Read the other Meet the Team articles to learn more about the American Sentinel team.

Subscribe to receive upcoming articles via email.