North Carolina DNP Graduate Lays Groundwork for Future Career

For Lobel Lurie, it all began back home in the Philippines, where she graduated with a BSN in 1989 from the Mary Chiles College School of Nursing. A few years into her career, she and 22 other nurses came to New York City under sponsorship by Bronx Lebanon Hospital. Soon, Lobel moved to St. Clare’s Hospital in Manhattan, working as a clinical nurse to various patient care areas, including psychiatric and HIV/AIDS specialties. After a brief move to Texas, she returned to New York in 1999, joining the Hospital for Special Surgery. There, her journey as a staff educator began

Patient and staff education

Lobel joined Liberty Health at Jersey City Medical Center in 2004 as a staff educator and was promoted to education specialist for the hospital in 2005. “My role was to manage professional development of the staff for three hospitals,” says Lobel, who pursued a Master of Arts in executive leadership at the same time at Teachers College Columbia University. After graduating, Lobel sought a new adventure and decided once again to leave the New York City area. She headed south to Greensboro, North Carolina.

There, Lobel discovered Cone Health, an integrated not-for-profit network of health care providers throughout North Carolina. “When I was at the Hospital for Special Surgery, they became the first Magnet hospital in Manhattan, and I’d wanted to return to a hospital with the highest commitment to quality and metrics ever since,” she says. “Cone Health impressed me from the start.” Though she had her sights set on the education department, Lobel got a foot in the door as a nurse recruiter. Three years later, she became a nursing professional development specialist, onboarding new employees and ensuring all staff members receive the proper training and education. She has held the role since 2010.

Time for a doctorate

After several years in her job, Lobel decided it was time to enhance her skills with a doctorate degree. “I want to be more effective as a nursing leader, but knew I didn’t want a clinical-based program,” she says. Her search led her to American Sentinel’s Doctor of Nursing Practice Executive Leadership, and Lobel knew it was an ideal fit. She applied and started the program in 2014. “The tools I learned have helped me understand my organization’s needs in today’s changing healthcare environment. I now feel there’s no limit to what I can do.” 

Plans for the future

Although Lobel enjoys her job in professional development at Cone Health, she hopes that one day, she’ll have the opportunity to expand her role as a nurse leader. “I’m positioning myself to be able to affect the delivery of care that Cone Health offers,” she says.

Lobel graduated in June 2016—and already, exciting opportunities are arising. She was invited to present her capstone project at the 5th Annual Cone Health/Greensboro Area Health Education Center Research Symposium in November 2016. The topic is near and dear to her heart: Onboarding Competency Development for Foreign-Educated Nurses within the United States Health Care System.

“When I came to the United States, it was a challenge to get my footing, yet I was taking on a major responsibility to the United States population to deliver safe, effective and efficient care. New nurses coming from outside the U.S. need training and guidance. I’ve wanted to develop a program to address this need for a long time; the DNP Executive Leadership gave me a platform to start the conversation and initiate an action plan.” To disseminate the outcome of her project, her first manuscript titled, “Strategic Planning for Future Delivery of Care: Onboarding Foreign-Educated Nurses,” will be published in the November/December Issue of Nurse Leader.

Seeking ways to make an impact

Lobel continues to take what she’s learned during her DNP program and tackle important projects in her organization. “I think the leaders here have been impressed by how American Sentinel develops the students and by the powerful learning experiences we’re having,” she says. She was even nominated by her boss and selected for the Great 100, a program that honors 100 North Carolina nurses who demonstrate excellence in practice and commitment to their profession.

As she begins the next chapter in her career with her newly earned credentials, Lobel says pursuing the DNP has bettered her as a nurse. “It was an amazing experience,” she says. “I’m using what I’ve learned every day as I make decisions. Most importantly, I can now better contribute to my profession by helping to shape the next generation of nurses.

Inspired by Lobel’s story? A DNP with a specialization in executive leadership prepares master’s-educated nurses for leadership roles in the healthcare system. When you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes.

Subscribe to receive upcoming articles via our e-newsletter, The Sentinel Watch.