A Student’s Story: GIS Alum Helps Oil Industry
The Associate of Science Geographic Information Systems is a fast-track GIS degree program that prepares students to transfer into a four-year degree program in geographic information systems (GIS) or for entry-level positions as GIS technicians and users. The online GIS degree program helps students build a strong foundation in cartography, GIS software, and GIS concepts and techniques.
Organizations around the world use geographic information systems, including those in the geography, archaeology, cartography, land surveying, public utility management, natural resource management and urban planning disciplines and in many other fields and industries. Earning a GIS degree online will prepare you for this rapidly growing field.
Our rigorous curriculum covers a breadth of issues in GIS. Here are a few of the A.S. GIS degree program’s key courses:
- Introduction to GIS (GIS211): Provides an overview of GIS theories and concepts, including basic cartographic principles, map scales, coordinate systems and projections, as well as practical experience applying these concepts using GIS software.
- Introduction to Geodatabases (GIS215): Provides an introduction the geodatabase format and design data concepts. Also covers various data models that can be utilized for geodatabase design. Students create new personal geodatabases in which students learn to import and export existing datasets and also study real-world case studies that utilize geodatabase technology.
- Introduction to GIS Business Applications (GIS230): Serves as an introduction to the utilization of GIS within business environments including an overview of business data and geodemographics.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the A.S. Geographic Information Systems program will be able to:
- Design maps to communicate information about spatial patterns.
- Interpret information from maps and other visual presentations of abstract geographic information.
- Acquire GIS data from a variety of sources.
- Utilize GIS software to store and manage spatial data.
- Design and implement GIS solutions for problems in a variety of fields.