About the B.S. Computer Science Degree Program
The Bachelor of Science Computer Science, Software Development, is a computer technology degree ideal for students interested in understanding programming languages and using their programming skills to build software applications and solutions to business programs. C++ is the program’s core language, which is becoming increasingly important in both academics and the workplace.
Our online computer science degree will teach students how computing systems work, including networking and operating systems, as well as the design of hardware and software.
The computer science curriculum offers a variety of theoretical and applied courses online. Here are a few of the computer science online degree courses:
- Computer Science Problem Solving (CS385): this course provides a strong background in methodologies related to problem solving in programming. Topics include basic concepts of data structures, software engineering, algorithm design, programming languages, and data abstraction, with applications.
- Senior Capstone Project (CS499): Students apply the knowledge and skills learned throughout the curriculum towards the production of a larger-scale programming application.
- Algorithms (CS216 and CS 331): These courses cover algorithm design and analysis, including a variety of storage and search structures.
- Artificial Intelligence (CS431): This course covers the problems and techniques of artificial intelligence, including problems, problem spaces, game theory, probabilistic reasoning and more.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduates of the B.S. Computer Science, Software Development, program will be able to:
- Understand and articulate the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science.
- Apply distinct models of software design, development and implementation to real-world problems.
- Explain how the functions of algorithms, data structures, computer organization and architecture impact organizational decision-making and solutions.
- Define and select appropriate numerical computation techniques, operating systems and programming languages for specific business development requirements.
- Analyze and develop solutions to complex organization problems.
- Integrate appropriate computer science theory, concepts and methods in the development of software solutions and applications tailored to meet current and future organizational needs.
- Address contemporary ethical issues in software and application development.
View general education learning outcomes of American Sentinel’s general education curriculum.
Career and Industry News
Take the next step:
Students graduating with the B.S. Science Computer Science, Software Development degree complete 30 credit hours of general education courses, 60 credit hours of courses in the major and 30 credit hours of elective courses taken in computer science, information systems, information security or information technology, networking.
Students residing in the state of Arkansas should refer to their General Education requirements.
Students residing in the state of Minnesota should refer to the State Regulatory section of the catalog for specific information regarding their general education requirements.
Career and Industry News
Successful Students and Alumni
Air Force Technical Training Launches Fulfilling Career for Staff Sergeant
It took Aaron Eden a while to find his career calling—but once he did, he never wavered. “I graduated high school in 2001 and just worked odd jobs until I enlisted in the Air Force in April 2004,” says Aaron, currently a staff sergeant stationed in Korea and the lead information management officer for his organization. >>Read full story
Career Opportunities in Computer Science
If you enjoy solving problems, deciphering complex puzzles and working with computers, a career in computer science might be ideal for you. Computer science involves mathematics and electrical engineering. At a broad level, computer scientists generally work in three areas:
- Designing, developing, testing and deploying systems and applications.
- Researching new ways to use the computer—developing new databases and ways for the computer to analyze information.
- Solving computer problems by designing new algorithms and data structures to solve networking, security and storage challenges.
The American Sentinel online computer science degree will give you a great foundation in computer science and give you the skills to advance your career.
Job Outlook for Computer Science
Computer science and computer software engineering are among the fastest growing fields today, which means your job prospects are excellent. With the B.S. Computer Science, Software Development, you may be qualified for positions in applications software development, systems software development, software engineering/software integration, database management (with SQL), simulation and modeling, and computer graphics. Learn more about the Bureau of Labor Statistics outlook for computer software engineer and computer programmer jobs.