Our ACEN-accredited Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program with a specialization in executive leadership prepares master’s-educated nurses for leadership roles in the healthcare system. Students examine legislative policy issues and economics, improve their critical thinking skills and develop into more marketable leaders. Our program is ideal for executives and managers who currently hold or intend to pursue leadership positions in healthcare organizations during their careers.
Relevant to Market Needs
- Our DNP nursing leadership program develops five key competencies: leadership, business intelligence, finance, health policy and health services research.
- Our competitive tuition rates, various payment options and DNP Travel Assistance Program allow most of our students to graduate debt-free.
Flexible and Short Program
- Just over two-year program with one short residency per year.
- With the exception of the short residency all classes are 100% online.
DNP Executive Leadership Course Highlights
Our rigorous curriculum covers a breadth of issues in nursing and health care, giving nurses the foundation and skills to lead their organizations. Here are a few of the DNP program’s online courses:
- Statistics for Health Care Administrators (HCA725): This course gives students the tools to analyze data critical for the management of their medical systems.
- Leadership: Setting the Example (N700): Focuses on executive leadership in a dynamic health care environment. Students explore leadership theory and take into account organizational culture and governmental complexities.
- Health Care Finance (N720): Covers economic ideas and models in the health care realm, and provides students a working knowledge of the analytical tools used in contemporary health care.
- Health Services Research (N725): Students learn about a variety of health services research types and review studies to learn about quality research design.
- Capstone Project (N740, N765 and N770): This three-part capstone of the online doctorate nursing program begins with the identification of a problem statement and hypotheses, moves into the development of a research proposal and culminates with the implementation of the research project. Students defend their project to a committee lead by the dean.
The nursing programs at American Sentinel University contain practice experiences. This is done to meet the accreditor requirement that RN to BSN, RN to MSN, MSN or DNP programs include practice experiences in the curricula to enable students to achieve the required educational competencies (AACN White Paper, Oct. 2012; DNP Essentials for Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice, 2006; ACEN 2013 Standards). These practice experiences have specific objectives, expected outcomes and competencies.
Practice experiences are not like the clinical experiences you completed to obtain your degree as a registered nurse. Practice experiences do not involve hands-on patient care. They are designed to provide you with the opportunity to apply the concepts and knowledge you learn in the nursing courses.
See Nursing Practice Experience Guide for more information.
Why Choose Our DNP Executive Leadership Program?
- DNP classes are online and designed for working professionals, giving you the convenience and control to participate in classes around your busy schedule.
- Classes are only eight weeks in length.
- A MySentinel™ Student Support is our distinctive personal approach to helping students succeed. All students have a dedicated advisor to help guide them from admissions to graduation.
DNP Executive Leadership Program Eligibility Requirements
The program is open to nursing managers and executives who have at least two years of leadership experience, within the past 5 years. Applicants must hold an active and unencumbered nursing license and an MSN degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution. Foreign students must hold a comparable degree from a recognized institution. No GRE or other placement testing is required.
What You’ll Learn in Our DNP Executive Leadership Program
- Summarize meaningful data that informs leadership using information technology.
- Design health policy that considers environmental social justice, consumer and other issues.
- Create new models to explain, predict, and improve the performance of organizations.
- Explain the role of healthcare finance in the health of an organization.