Our Doctor of Nursing Practice with specialization in informatics leadership is designed for master’s-educated nurses to lead informatics in today’s health care systems. Nurses with informatics leadership experience and education serve as the clinical health IT advisor to the executive leadership team, educating them on application use and change implementation for optimized patient care. Often called the Chief Nursing Informatics Officer, they speak for bedside clinicians, implement and optimize the use of health IT, coordinate and educate on the strategic and organizational use of technology, and understand the technology’s impact on patients.
As one of a select few online DNP Informatics programs in the country, our degree program emphasizes critical thinking and advanced management and leadership skills. Students also benefit from interactions with nursing leaders from top U.S. health care organizations around the country such as Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, UCLA Medical Center, Geisinger Health System and Spectrum Health System.
- Graduate of the DNP, Informatics Leadership Specialization will be able to:
- Promote efficiencies within the healthcare system using electronic data analytics.
- Use nursing informatics concepts to improve evidence-based clinical practice.
- Evaluate health services and policies that impact the care of diverse populations using epidemiologic analytical techniques.
- Predict trends in healthcare data using various statistical modeling techniques.
- The curriculum is kept up-to-date so students are prepared to deal with current issues in health care. Our program is fully accredited by ACEN, an accreditation valued by leading health care organizations.
Flexible and Fast Program
- Program is only 28 months long with rolling admission
- Year one: four–day residency, we pay for your stay; year two: two-day virtual residency
- Schooling is 100% online except for one short, four-day residency in Aurora, CO
Affordable Tuition So You Can Earn Your DNP, Debt-Free
- Our competitive tuition rates, various payment options and DNP Travel Assistance Program allow most of our students to graduate debt-free.
Our rigorous curriculum covers a breadth of issues in nursing and health care, giving nurses the foundation and skills to lead their organizations. Here are a few of the courses for the online DNP program:
- Perspectives on Nursing Informatics (N751PE): Provides students with a history of the evolution of nursing informatics by highlighting several major landmark events that influenced the introduction of technology and information management to the profession of nursing.
- Application of Nursing Informatics in Clinical Practice (N752PE): Prepares students to apply nursing informatics concepts to clinical practice strategies for managing issues that occur within and among health care systems. Students will learn to guide the operation of clinical informatics practice. This implementation and application of informatics in clinical practice will focus on patient safety, ethics, knowledge transfer, telehealth and workflow issues.
- Application of Nursing Informatics in Administration, Leadership and Management (N753PE): Focuses on the applications and implications of 21st information technology for nursing leadership and management. The use of electronic data to promote efficiencies, economies of scale, evidence based practice and meaningful use will be examined. Systems that measure organizational performance, service quality, appropriateness of care delivery, and cost of services will be explored and analyzed.
What You’ll Get
- Real-world solutions for your organization’s challenges
- Connections to peers at leading organizations around the country
- A deeper understanding of leading the next generation of nurses
- A professional headshot
What You’ll Learn
- Appraise the needs of complex organizations as they go through strategic decision making and change implementation.
- Critique roles of leaders and collaborators in planning, providing, and evaluating healthcare.
- Generate strategic plans for organizational change by utilizing theoretical knowledge, meaningful data, and evidence-based practice while being culturally and ethnically sensitive
- How to leverage informatics with your clinical knowledge to positively impact systems management and patient outcomes
- The ability to lead information systems into health care systems and clinical settings while working with leadership peers in various departments
The mission of the DNP program is to prepare highly qualified nurse leaders and nurse educators to serve in competitive health care and higher education settings.
The online DNP program at American Sentinel University contains practice experiences. This is done to meet the accreditor requirement that RN to BSN, RN to MSN, MSN or DNP programs include practice experiences in the curricula to enable students to achieve the required educational competencies (AACN White Paper, Oct. 2012; DNP Essentials for Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice, 2006; ACEN 2013 Standards). These practice experiences have specific objectives, expected outcomes and competencies.
Practice experiences are not like the clinical experiences you completed to obtain your degree as a registered nurse. Practice experiences do not involve hands-on patient care. They are designed to provide you with the opportunity to apply the concepts and knowledge you learn in the nursing courses. Practice experiences are an opportunity to get away from traditional reading and writing assignments; instead these assignments are replaced with more active assignments.
See DNP Practice Experiences for more information.
- DNP leadership classes are online and designed for working professionals, giving you the convenience and control to participate in classes around your busy schedule.
- Classes are only eight weeks in length.
- MySentinel® Student Support is our distinctive personal approach to helping students succeed. As a DNP student, you will work exclusively with our fantastic student success advisors, Adam and Jessica, who will help guide you through graduation.
- Our competitive tuition rates, various payment options and DNP Travel Assistance Program allow most of our students to graduate debt-free
A Track Record of Proven Student Success
- We have educated students at some of the top healthcare organizations in the country: Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Geisinger Health System, Johns Hopkins University, Kindred Healthcare, and the list goes on. These students along with thousands more have achieved personal goals, and new positions with their DNP, executive leadership specialization from American Sentinel University.
- Meet faculty and peers that will become your support team through graduation and beyond. We invite you to learn more about the DNP Residency.
The program is open to nursing managers who hold a master’s degree, a BSN and an unencumbered RN license and have a minimum of one year full-time work experience in an informatics or technology-based nursing leadership role within the last five years.
Nurses in this specialization are not required to have/earn an MSN, so we offer three options:
- Nurses that have an MSN (direct enrollment in the DNP program)
- Nurses that have a master’s in another discipline (e.g. MBA, MHA, MPH, or MEd) and want to earn an MSN and DNP
- Nurses that have a master’s in another discipline but do not want to earn an MSN, just a DNP
- Applicants with a non-nursing master’s complete three bridge courses and 400 total hours of practice experience, and then complete the DNP program. An MSN is not earned in this program. (We highly recommend that if the student wants to teach, they choose the MSN option.)
- Please visit the Bridge-Course and Practicum Workshop page for course details.