“I’ve been a nurse for a long time, but I’ve learned so much about best practices in nursing education.”
“I learned so much in every class, and there were many other aspects like affordability and class structure, that made it a great experience.”
“The American Sentinel program stressed the need for critical thinking in education, and that’s exactly what I’m doing in my new role.”
About Our Online Master's in Nursing Education Program
Teach the next generation of nurses. Your passion for nursing and your care for others are a powerful combination; share your knowledge and experience with others who feel the calling. Our CCNE-accredited MSN, nursing education program prepares nurses to teach, develop curriculum and utilize distance education technology to further the nursing profession.
Relevant to Market Needs
- With a master’s in nursing education, graduates are prepared to assume teaching roles within a clinical environment or with schools of nursing.
- Our MSN online graduate nursing program is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as being among the “Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs.”
- Go to school with nursing leaders from top facilities around the country (Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Geisinger Health System, Kaiser Permanente and more).
- Our competitive tuition rates and flexible payment options allow most of our students to graduate with their master’s in nursing education debt-free.
Flexible Online Format
- Our online master’s programs are designed for working professionals and will give you the convenience and control to participate in classes around your busy schedule.
- Classes are eight weeks in length and start monthly – a benefit you cannot find at most schools.
Nursing Education Course Highlights
Our rigorous curriculum covers a breadth of issues in nursing and healthcare, giving nurses the foundation and skills to expand their practice. Here are a few of the MSN degree program’s key courses:
- Curriculum Design and Learning Outcomes (N531PE) provides a historical, current and futuristic analysis of curriculum development in nursing education. This course includes practice experience hours.
- Teaching to Diverse Learning Styles (N532PE) explores world views of health and illness, cultural perspectives and the educational needs of economically and politically diverse populations. This course includes practice experience hours.
- Education Capstone (N555EPE) is the culminating experience for the graduate nurse educator student into the practicum of faculty membership in an educational institution. Addresses issues related to tenure and promotion, governance, academic freedom and ethics in teaching. Discusses inquiries into the nature of scholarship, educational research and the integration of evidence-based practice into the academic areas. An institutional assessment will be completed and compared to a nursing theory by the graduate student including recommendations for current or future changes/program development. This course includes practice experience hours.
Our Relevant Nursing Education Curriculum
The nursing programs at American Sentinel University contain practice experiences. This is done to meet the accreditor requirement that RN to BSN, RN to MSN, MSN or DNP programs include practice experiences in the curricula to enable students to achieve the required educational competencies (AACN White Paper, Oct. 2012; DNP Essentials for Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice, 2006; ACEN 2013 Standards). These practice experiences have specific objectives, expected outcomes and competencies.
Practice experiences are not like the clinical experiences you completed to obtain your degree as a registered nurse. Practice experiences do not involve hands-on patient care. They are designed to provide you with the opportunity to apply the concepts and knowledge you learn in the nursing courses.
See MSN Practice Experiences for more information.
What You’ll Learn in Our MSN Nursing Education Program
Graduates of the MSN program, nursing education specialization, will be able to:
- Analyze the role of the nurse educator in practice environments.
- Design curriculum using emerging trends in nursing education and evidence-based practice.
- Develop assessment and performance evaluations of individual learners.
- Create a plan for evaluating program effectiveness in an academic or institutional setting.
The mission of the MSN program is to prepare highly qualified professional nursing personnel to serve global healthcare communities as administrators, educators, and informatics specialists.
HRSA Loan Program Available to Instructors in Health Professions
Instructors who teach in the health professions and who come from disadvantaged backgrounds may qualify for as much as $40,000 toward repayment of their student loans.
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), the Faculty Loan Repayment Program is open to students in a nursing education program. Graduates may be eligible for up to 85 percent loan forgiveness after meeting teaching requirements.
American Sentinel values your privacy. Your information will only be accessible to American Sentinel University.
MSN Open House:Tues., July 12, 2-3 p.m. EDT
Thinking about earning your Master of Science Nursing degree with American Sentinel University? Our VP of Admissions, Natalie Nixon, Dr. Elaine Foster, Associate Dean, Nursing Programs, and Assistant Professor of Nursing, Dr. Sandra Cleveland will be hosting an MSN-specific online open house.Reserve Your Seat!