Complaint Policy

Students are encouraged to attempt to resolve all grievances and concerns at the lowest possible level. The majority of all student grievances and concerns, therefore, will be resolved per Policy CM2.01 Student Grievance and Concern. If a student has an unresolved complaint concerning American Sentinel University programs, they should contact the president. If a student is not satisfied with the complaint that was settled at the institutional level, students may contact state accreditation boards, and other accreditation or regulatory bodies. Students agree to resolve disputes and claims against American Sentinel University using arbitration.


A student can initiate a complaint by contacting the president either by phone, mail, or email at the following address:

Mary Adams
American Sentinel University
2260 South Xanadu Way, Suite 310
Aurora, CO 80014
Tel. 303.991.1575

Upon receipt of the student complaint, the president, or designate, will review the complaint and associated records to determine if Policy CM2.01 was adequately executed and if there was an appropriate resolution. Within 30 business days, the President will take appropriate action and will respond to the student. The decision of the President is final.

If the student has exhausted all options to resolve a complaint within the university, the student may file a written complaint with the accrediting body, applicable state agency or other regulator listed below:


Alabama Commission on Higher Education

100 N. Union St.
P.O. Box 302000

Montgomery, AL 36130-2000

Main: (334) 242-1998


Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 302130

Montgomery, AL 36130-2130

Main: (334) 293-4500


Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education

P.O. Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505

Main: (907) 465-6741


Arizona Department of Education

1535 W. Jefferson St.

Phoenix, AZ 85007

Main: (602) 542-5393



California Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education

2535 Capitol Oaks Drive, Suite 400
Sacramento, CA 95833
Main: (916) 431-6924
FAX: (916) 263-1897


Colorado Department of Higher Education


1560 Broadway
Suite 1600
Denver, CO 80202

Main: (303) 866-2723
Fax: (303) 866-4266


Connecticut Office of Higher Education

61 Woodland Street

Hartford, CT 06105-2326

Main: (860) 947-1800 (or)


Delaware Department of Education

The Townsend Building
401 Federal Street, Suite 2

Dover, DE 19901-3639

Main: (302) 735-4000 or (302) 857-3388

District of Columbia

District of Columbia

Superintendent of Education

Education Licensure Commission (ELC)

Public Complaints

810 First Street NE, 9th Floor

Washington, DC 20002

Main: (202) 727-6436



Florida Department of Education

Commission for Independent Education

325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 1414

Tallahassee, FL. 32399-0400



State of Georgia Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission

2082 E. Exchange Place, Suite 220

Tucker, GA 30084

Main: (770) 414-3300


Hawaii Postsecondary Education Authorization Program (HPEAP)

P.O. Box 541

Honolulu, Hawaii 96809

Main: (808) 586-7327



Idaho State Board of Education

650 West State Street, Suite 307

P.O. Box 83720)

Boise, Idaho 83720-0037

Private Postsecondary & Proprietary School Coordinator

Contact: Val Fenske

Main: (208) 332-1587



Illinois Board of Higher Education

431 East Adams, 2nd Floor

Springfield, Illinois 62701-1404

Main: (217) 782-2551



Indiana Commission for Higher Education

Board for Proprietary Education
Indiana Commission for Higher Education
101 West Ohio Street, Suite 670
Indianapolis, IN 46204

(317) 464-4400 ext. 0



Iowa College Student Aid Commission

430 East Grand Ave., FL3

Des Moines, IA 50319-0146

Main: (515) 725-3400


Kansas Board of Regents

1000 SW Jackson Street, Suite 520

Topeka, KS 66612-1368

Main: (785) 296-3421


Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education

Director of Postsecondary Licensing
Council on Postsecondary Education
1024 Capital Center Drive, Suite 320
Frankfort, KY 40601


Kentucky State Board for Proprietary Education

P.O. Box 1360

Frankfort, KY 40602

Main: (502) 564-3296


Louisiana Board of Regents

Attn: Assistant Program Manager

PO Box 3677

Baton Rouge, LA 70821- 3677

Main: (225) 342-7084 (or)


Maine Department of Education

Director of Policy and Programs

23 State House Station

Augusta, ME 04333-0023


Maryland Higher Education Commission

Student Complaint Process

Consumer Protection Division

Office of the Attorney General

200 Saint Paul Place

Baltimore, Maryland 21202

Main: 410-258-8662/888-743-0823 (toll free)

The institution is subject to investigation of complaints by the Office of the Attorney General of the Maryland Higher Education Commission.


Massachusetts Board of Higher Education

One Ashburton Place, Room 1401

Boston, MA 02108

Main: (617) 994-6950


Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Bureau of Commercial

Services, Licensing Division

Proprietary School Unit Staff

201 N. Washington Sq.

Lansing, MI 48913,4601,7-154-35299_61343_35395_35396—,00.html


Minnesota Office of Higher Education

Registration & Licensing

1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350

St. Paul, MN 55108- 5227

Main: 651-259-3975 or 1-800-657-3866



Missouri Department of Higher Education

205 Jefferson Street, PO Box 1469

Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469

Main: (573) 751-2361



Mississippi Commission on College Accreditation

3825 Ridgewood Road

Jackson, MS 39211-6453

Main: (601) 432-6372


Missouri Department of Higher Education

205 Jefferson Street, PO Box 1469

Jefferson City, MO 65102-1469

Main: (573) 751-2361



Montana Board of Regents

Office of Commissioner of Higher Education

Montana University System

2500 Broadway Street

PO Box 203201

Helena, MT 59620-3201

Main: (406) 444-6570


Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Postsecondary Education

PO Box 95005, Lincoln, NE 68509-5005

Main: (402) 471-0730


Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education

8778 S Maryland Parkway, Suite 115

Las Vegas, NV 89123

Main: (702) 486-7330

New Hampshire

New Hampshire Higher Education Commission

Edward R. MacKay, Division Director

New Hampshire Department of Education

101 Pleasant Street

Concord, NH 03301

Main: (603) 271-0256


New Jersey

State of New Jersey, Office of the Secretary of Higher Education

NJ Higher Education

P.O. Box 542

Trenton, NJ 08625-0542

Main: (609) 292-4310


New Mexico

New Mexico Higher Education Department (MNHED)

2048 Galisteo Street

Santa Fe, NM 87505

Phone: (505) 476-8442

Fax: (505) 476-8453

New York

New York State Education

Bureau of Proprietary School Supervision Investigations and Audit Unit

116 West 32nd Street, 5th Floor

New York, NY 10001

Main: (212) 643-4760


North Carolina

North Carolina State Board of Proprietary Schools

200 West Jones Street

Raleigh, North Carolina 27603

Scott Corl

Executive Director of Proprietary Schools

Main: (919) 807-7061


North Dakota

North Dakota University System

Tanya Spilovoy, D. Ed.

Director of Distance Education and State Authorization

1815 Schafer St., Ste. 202

Bismarck, ND 58501-1217



Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools

30 East Broad Street, Suite 2481

Columbus, OH 43215

Maine: (614) 466-2752



Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education

55 Research Parkway, Suite 200,

Oklahoma City, OK 73104

Main: (405) 225.9100


Oregon State Board of Higher of Education

Higher Education Coordinating Commission

Shell Dumas

775 Court St. NE

Salem, OR 97301

Main: (503) 947-5600


Pennsylvania Department of Education

Postsecondary and Adult Education

333 Market Street, 12th Fl

Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333

Main: (717) 783-8228


Rhode Island

Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education

Shepard Bldg. 80 Washington Street

Providence, RI 02903

Main: (401) 456-6000

South Carolina

South Carolina Commission on Higher Education

Academic Affairs and Licensing

1122 Lady Street, Suite 300

Columbia, SC 29201

Main: (803) 737-2260 (or)

South Dakota

South Dakota Board of Regents
306 East Capitol Ave
Suite 200
Pierre, SD 57501
Home: 605 773 3455



Tennessee Higher Education Commission

Division of Postsecondary School Authorization

Parkway Towers, Suite 1900

404 James Robertson Parkway

Nashville, TN 37243-0830

Main: (615) 741-5293 (or)


Texas Workforce Commission

TWC-Career Schools and Colleges

Austin, Texas, 78778-0001

Main: (512) 936-3100



Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board

College Readiness and Success Division

P.O. Box 12788

Austin, Texas 78711-2788



Utah Division of Consumer Protection

160 East 300 South

Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

Main: (801) 530-6601 (or)


Vermont Agency of Education

219 North Main Street, Suite 402,

Barre, VT 05641

Cathy Hilgendorf
Main: (802) 479-7451

Email: (or)


Virginia State Council of Higher Education

101 N. 14TH St., 10TH FL,

James Monroe Bldg.

Richmond, VA 23219

Main: (804) 225-2600


Washington Student Achievement Council

917 Lakeridge Way SW

Olympia, WA 98502

Program Administrator

Karen Oelschlager

Main: 360.753.7869



Washington Workforce Training and Education Board

128 10th Avenue

Olympia, WA

Main: 360-709-4641


West Virginia

West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission

1018 Kanawha Boulevard, East – Suite 700

Charleston, WV 25301

Main: (304) 558-2101



Wisconsin Educational Approval Board
30 W. Mifflin St., 9th Floor
P.O. Box 8696
Madison, WI 53708

Main: (608) 266-1996

If a complaint is not settled at the institutional level students should contact EAB.


Wyoming Department of Education

2300 Capitol Avenue

Hathaway Building, 2nd Floor

Cheyenne, WY 82002-0050

Main: (303) 777-7675


The following states have additional information for students that reside in these states:

  • Students residing in the state of Wisconsin: If a complaint is not settled at the institutional level, the student may contact the Wisconsin Educational Approval Board, PO Box 8696 Madison, WI 53708-8696, Telephone: 608-266-1996.
  • Students residing in the state of Maryland: The institution is subject to investigation of complaints by the Office of the Attorney General of the Maryland Higher Education Commission. Complaints should be directed to Maryland Attorney General Consumer Protection Division 200 St. Paul St., Baltimore, MD 21202, 410-258-8662/888-743-0823 (toll free).
  • Students residing in the state of Missouri: If a complaint is not settled at the institutional level, may contact the Missouri Department of Higher Education at (573) 751-2361.
  • Students residing in the state of Utah: Complaints may be filed with the Utah Division of Consumer Protection at any time during the process.

Regulatory Agency Contact Information

Students can file a written complaint to:

Distance Education Accrediting  Commission (DEAC)
Executive Director
1101 17th Street NW, Suite 808,
Washington, DC 20036

Please reference Policy C.20. Policy on Complaints found in the DEAC Accreditation Handbook. DEAC has an “Online Complaint System” that enables individuals to file a complaint directly from the DEAC website.

Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
Executive Director
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 530, Washington, D.C. 20036

Please reference page 30 of the Procedures for Accreditation of Baccalaureate and Graduate Degree Nursing Programs. The complaint is presented to the CCNE as a written, signed, and dated statement with supporting evidence.

Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN)
Chief Executive Officer
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, Georgia 30326

Please reference Policy # 20. Complaints Against an Accredited Program found in the ACEN Accreditation Manual. The complaint is presented to the ACEN as a written, signed, and dated statement with supporting evidence.

Department of Education

Students can file a written complaint to:

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20202
Complaint Procedure:


Any disputes or claims (including any claims against American Sentinel or its officers, trustees or employees) shall be resolved by arbitration in accordance with the Commercial Arbitration Rules of the American Arbitration Association. Judgment on any award by the arbitrator may be entered in any court having jurisdiction. Because such a transaction involves interstate commerce, the Federal Arbitration Act and related federal judicial procedure govern. Any dispute subject to arbitration will not be adjudicated as a class action or a consolidated class arbitration proceeding either in court or under the rules of the American Arbitration Association.

A student’s responsibility to pay administrative fees, filing fees, processing fees, arbitrator compensation and services charges for arbitration proceedings conducted by the American Arbitration Association will be limited to no more than $125 for claims under $10,000 and $375 for claims between $10,000 and $75,000, or for claims not seeking monetary compensation. The arbitrator is allowed to ignore this limit, except as prohibited under applicable arbitration rules, should the arbitrator find that the student filed a frivolous claim(s) or unnecessarily delayed the arbitration proceedings. Except as may be required by law, neither a party nor an arbitrator may disclose the existence, content or results of any arbitration conducted pursuant to this provision without the prior written consent of both parties.