Students who believe they have been treated unfairly by American Sentinel University either through the action of individuals or the application of existing policy will have their grievance or concern addressed by the appropriate procedure. The university will provide follow up with updates to student grievances or concerns, which may include final resolution, within three business days of the date the grievance was submitted.
Students who are unclear about the appropriate procedures and the steps to take may consult their Student Success Advisor.
With the exception of the five policies listed below, grievances and concerns will be reported and tracked using an online form. The Manager, Student Success and Retention will pull a summary report once a month and send to the President, VP, People and Culture and the Director, Financial Aid and Compliance.
Several categories of grievances have their own specific policy and procedure. The following types of grievances will adhere to the established procedures outlined in the associated policy documents:
- Grade Appeal (see Grading Policies – Grade Appeals Process)
- Institutional Academic Progress Appeal (see Institutional Academic Progress Policy)
- Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal (see Financial Aid Policy Manual)
- Student Code of Conduct Appeal (see Code of Conduct Violations Policy)
- Sexual Harassment (see Sexual Harassment Policy)
All other concerns and grievances will follow the procedure as identified below.
- The student should first attempt to resolve the issue with a faculty or staff member.
- If the student wishes to provide feedback, they can initiate a grievance or concern one of two ways:
- Submit their grievance or concern directly through the feedback form housed on the Student Site (my.americansentinel.edu).
- Relay their grievance or concern to their Student Success Advisor who can then submit their grievance or concern through the feedback form housed on the Student Site.
- Completion of the online form requires the student to select a category in which to give feedback. The category chosen dictates who is designated to address and resolve the issue or complaint:
- Academic regarding assessments, faculty performance, technical issues (as related to course content), program content, program effectiveness, or library services – Associate Dean
- Admissions – Director, Admissions Services
- Financial Aid – Director, Financial Aid and Compliance
- Student Accounts – Director, Student Accounts
- Online Classroom and Academic Technology – Manager, Academic Technologies
- Registrar’s Office – Registrar
- Student Services – Executive Director, Student Success and Retention
- Other – Executive Director, Student Success and Retention will reroute to the correct individual
- The VP, People and Culture and the Director, Financial Aid and Compliance, will be copied on every grievance and concern to assess if it more appropriately fits the procedures outlined in HR01.11 Due Process and to ensure tracking for Title IX and performance management.
- The student is given the definition of an official grievance and decides if they would like to file a grievance or concern.
- The student either provides their contact information for follow-up, or submits the grievance or concern anonymously.
- If the student provides their contact information for follow-up, the designated person detailed above is responsible for investigating the issue, contacting the student and attempting to resolve the issue within three business days of receiving the submission.
- The designated person uses the same online form to submit details about the outreach and resolution including: date, method of contact, action taken and outcome.
- If the student submits a grievance or concern anonymously, the designated person detailed above is responsible for investigating the issue and taking any steps deemed necessary to resolve the issue.
- The designated person uses the same online form to submit details about steps taken including: date, method of contact, action taken and outcome.
- If a grievance or concern has not been resolved to the student’s satisfaction, the student may initiate a complaint within 5 business days per Policy CM2.02 Complaint Policy.
- The Manager, Student Success and Retention will pull a summary report once a month and send to the President, Chief Academic Officer, the VP, People and Culture and the Director, Financial Aid and Compliance for record keeping.