Learn The Details About American Sentinel
Ready to Start Classes?
Fill out the information below, and we will be in touch shortly.
About American Sentinel University
American Sentinel University is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC) a recognized member of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. In addition, our bachelor’s and master’s nursing degree programs accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, 202-887-6791. The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) has awarded accreditation to American Sentinel University’s Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) program with specialty tracks in Professional Leadership, Educational Leadership, Executive Leadership and Informatics Leadership.
Focused on the ever-increasing industry of healthcare, we position students for the future by offering relevant programs, a flexible learning platform and superior student support.
What makes American Sentinel unique is our primary focus: positioning you for success.
We do that by:
- Offering accredited programs in high-demand healthcare field that are current and relevant to your career.
- Providing you with a dedicated student success advisor who gets to know you throughout your time at the university, a 24/7 librarian service and other student support services that will help you graduate and thrive.
- Acknowledging past college coursework, professional certification and training, reducing the total cost of your degree and the time needed to earn it.
- Delivering quality, affordable education through an online format, which makes the pursuit of your dreams possible.
American Sentinel University Fast Facts
- Founded: February 2006
- History: American Sentinel University was founded when three nationally accredited institutions merged: the American Graduate School of Management (Denver, Colo.), Sentinel University (Denver, Colo.) and the American College of Computer and Information Sciences (Birmingham, Ala.).
- CEO: Dr. Richard Oliver
- President & Chief Academic Officer: Mary Adams
- Institutional Accreditation: Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC): 1101 17th Street NW, Suite 808, Washington, D.C. 20036, 202.234.5100. Candidate for Institutional Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission (HLC): 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL, 60604 (800) 621-7440. (MBA Healthcare Project-Based program is pending review for inclusion in the university’s programs covered by the Higher Learning Commission designation of candidate for accreditation.)
- Programmatic Accreditation: American Sentinel’s RN to BSN, RN to BSN/MSN and Master of Science Nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, (202) 887-6791. Recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a specialized professional accreditation agency, the CCNE is an autonomous branch of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. American Sentinel’s Doctor of Nursing Practice program with four specializations is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN): 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326, (404) 975-5000.
- Programs: six online bachelor’s and master’s degree programs with no residency requirements; two certificate programs with no residency requirements; four online doctoral degree programs with one four-day residency. (In order to focus its program offerings on healthcare, American Sentinel discontinued programs in Business, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, and Management Information Systems between 2011 and 2015.)
- Student enrollment (as of December 31, 2017): 2,517 students
- Alumni (as of January 1, 2018): over 5,900 worldwide
- Faculty: 180+ full-time and adjunct faculty members (more than 70 percent hold doctorates)
- Staff: 90+ academic administrators and staff
- Headquarters: Aurora, Colorado
- Student satisfaction: 98 percent based on Student Satisfaction Survey 2018
American Sentinel University, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of American Learning Solutions, Inc., or ALS. No single investor or affiliated group of investors holds more than a 24% stake in ALS. ALS has no role in nominating or confirming members of the American Sentinel Board of Trust, a self-governing body, that operates in accordance with the American Sentinel University Amended and Restated Charter of the Board of Trustees.
Partnerships and Affiliations
American Sentinel University develops partnerships and affiliations with healthcare organizations, corporations, associations and societies, and higher education institutions across the nation to provide advanced degree opportunities for their employees and programs that support our partner’s educational goals and directives.
- Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA)
- Higher Education Transfer Alliance (HETA)
Educational partnerships offer partner employees reduced tuition rates, tuition deferment, accelerated admissions processes, and more. With an exceptional graduation rate (83%) that is well above the national average (59%), and a 98% student satisfaction rate, our Partners are assured that their staff if being supported and their organizational goals are being met. Tell us who you work for and we will help determine if it’s an educational partner. If not, let us know who to contact within your organization to develop a partnership.
- Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
- VA (GI Bill) Approved
- TA approved for all services including Coast Guard
- Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance (TA) Approved
- Concurrent Admissions Program (ConAP)
- Community College of the Air Force (CCAF)
- Council of College and Military Educators (CCME)
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Offices (AACRAO)
- American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN)
- American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE)
- American Association of Nurse Executives (AANEX)
- Aurora Chamber of Commerce
- California State Nursing Associations
- Colorado Technology Association (CTA)
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE)
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement (student group)
- Library and Information Resources (LIRN)
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA)
- Sigma Theta Tau International – the Honor Society of Nursing
- Society for Clinical Research Associates (SoCRA)
- American Nursing Informatics Association (ANIA)
- The Association of Nursing Professional Development (ANPD)
- Colorado Hospital Association (CHA)
- Colorado Nursing Association (CNA)
Your Guide to American Sentinel University
- our degree and certificate programs,
- application process,
- financial aid options and
- what makes us, us – like our stellar student support services.