Learn The Details About American Sentinel
Ready to Start Classes?
Fill out the information below, and we will be in touch shortly.
About American Sentinel University
American Sentinel University’s mission is to provide high-quality, innovative degree and certificate programs that enable students to enhance their professional and civic lives.
Its online programs are focused exclusively on healthcare with national and programmatically accredited degrees (see Accreditations below) at the Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral levels. It is approved to operate in all 50 states; its Nurse Practitioner program is approved in 43 states.
For more than three decades, the university has been committed to creating innovative ways to help students succeed with the guiding principles of quality outcomes and exceptional service.
The University provides students with a dedicated success advisor, and a personalized dashboard that offers 24/7, one click access to classrooms, library and all other student services.
The Empowered Classroom™ is American Sentinel University’s learning ecosystem, curated by faculty, facilitated by advanced technologies, empowering individual student pathways to learning and outcomes by developing competencies that create confidence for professional and civic leadership.
The University offers a unique, semester-based bachelor’s program, BSN CBE Powered by SIMPath®, which uses a simulation to guide learning. For a quick overview, click here.
With a focus on keeping tuition low and student satisfaction, outcomes and completions high, the University has a graduation rate of 81 percent (88 percent bachelors), 95+ percent student satisfaction for many years, while more than 60 percent of its students graduate debt-free.
American Sentinel’s award-winning digital simulations, virtual assistants and virtual clinical scenarios are in use at more than 90 other healthcare and nursing schools in the U.S. and Canada.
The University has educational partnerships with more than 150 of the country’s leading healthcare systems that have some 10,000 health service delivery locations.
American Sentinel University was founded in 2006 when three nationally accredited institutions merged: the American Graduate School of Management (Nashville, TN, 2000), Sentinel University (Denver, CO, 2004) and the American College of Computer and Information Sciences (Birmingham, AL, 1989). American Graduate School of Management was formed as part of the Vanderbilt University Chancellor fund.
While its current 2,500 student body (2019) is primarily nursing, the University also offers a degree program in healthcare management. The University has won numerous awards for its innovations and is highly regarded for its education metrics that include exceptional retention, graduation, research and professional development. The University will have some 7,000 graduates by the end of 2019.
With its home campus in Aurora, CO, American Sentinel has some 180+ full-time and adjunct faculty members (more than 70 percent hold doctorates), and more than 90 academic administrators and staff.
A Heritage of Innovation: Accelerating Learning in an Age of Digital Health
To keep pace with the accelerating changes in health care, American Sentinel is committed to ensuring its students are conversant with the many technological forces driving the industry’s transformation. The University seeks to use advanced digital technologies in its programs and services to inform, instruct and model the use of these new technologies in modern healthcare delivery.
American College of Computer & Information Sciences [among first to offer IT degrees @ distance]
American College of Computer & Information Sciences [among first to offer IT degrees @ distance]January 1, 1988
American Graduate School of Management [one of first to offer management degrees on line]
American Graduate School of Management [one of first to offer management degrees on line]January 1, 2000
Sentinel University [among first to offer MSN online]
Sentinel University [among first to offer MSN online]January 1, 2004
American Sentinel University formed
American Sentinel University formedJanuary 1, 2006
Begins to focus all programs exclusively on healthcare
Begins to focus all programs exclusively on healthcareJanuary 1, 2012
Creates Sentinel City® community health simulation now in use by over 80 other nursing schools
Creates Sentinel City® community health simulation now in use by over 80 other nursing schoolsJanuary 1, 2014
Introduces MAURA® Intelligent Virtual Agent for 24/7 student service
Introduces MAURA® Intelligent Virtual Agent for 24/7 student serviceFebruary 1, 2014
Introduces Professor IQ® Intelligent Virtual Agent for classroom queries; now in 10 courses
Introduces Professor IQ® Intelligent Virtual Agent for classroom queries; now in 10 coursesJanuary 1, 2015
Wins DEAC Innovation Award
Wins DEAC Innovation AwardFebruary 1, 2015
Introduced Digital University Transformation Program
Introduced Digital University Transformation ProgramJanuary 1, 2016(totally some $5M investment to date); based on extensive research with all stakeholders; students submit 10K written suggestions;75+ projects completed; 20 currently underway
Introduces Sentinel Town® rural community simulation
Introduces Sentinel Town® rural community simulationFebruary 1, 2016
Sentinel City® wins three national ed tech innovation awards
Sentinel City® wins three national ed tech innovation awardsJanuary 1, 2017
Introduced Healthcare Learning Innovations to provide University technology to other schools
Introduced Healthcare Learning Innovations to provide University technology to other schoolsFebruary 1, 2017
First degree program delivered by simulation: BSN CBE Powered by SIMPath®
First degree program delivered by simulation: BSN CBE Powered by SIMPath®December 15, 2017
Introduces 3 virtual clinical simulations
Introduces 3 virtual clinical simulationsFebruary 1, 2018
Introduces the Empowered Classroom™
Introduces the Empowered Classroom™January 1, 2019
Introducing Dr. MAURATM advanced intelligent virtual agent integrated with Alexa® skills & LUIS,® Microsoft cognitive services
Introducing Dr. MAURATM advanced intelligent virtual agent integrated with Alexa® skills & LUIS,® Microsoft cognitive servicesFebruary 1, 2019
Introduced Research Insights, periodic nursing research & scholarship newsletter
Introduced Research Insights, periodic nursing research & scholarship newsletterMarch 1, 2019
Introducing Sentinel Data Lab: course level experiences based on real healthcare data sets
Introducing Sentinel Data Lab: course level experiences based on real healthcare data setsApril 1, 2019
Developing Sentinel Hospital™ and Sentinel Clinic™, 3D virtual simulations
Developing Sentinel Hospital™ and Sentinel Clinic™, 3D virtual simulationsMay 1, 2019
Strategic Plan: Digital Forward; Voice First; Mobile Now
Strategic Plan: Digital Forward; Voice First; Mobile NowJanuary 1, 2024
Strategic Plan: will introduce AI/VR/AR/MR in its programs and services
Strategic Plan: will introduce AI/VR/AR/MR in its programs and servicesJanuary 1, 2025
What makes American Sentinel unique is our primary focus: positioning you for success.
We do that by:
- Offering accredited programs in high-demand healthcare field that are current and relevant to your career.
- Providing you with a dedicated student success advisor who gets to know you throughout your time at the university, a 24/7 librarian service and other student support services that will help you graduate and thrive.
- Acknowledging past college coursework, professional certification and training, reducing the total cost of your degree and the time needed to earn it.
- Delivering quality, affordable education through an online format, which makes the pursuit of your dreams possible.
American Sentinel University Fast Facts
- Founded: February 2006
- History: American Sentinel University was founded when three nationally accredited institutions merged: the American Graduate School of Management (Denver, Colo.), Sentinel University (Denver, Colo.) and the American College of Computer and Information Sciences (Birmingham, Ala.).
- CEO: Dr. Richard Oliver
- President: Mary Adams
- Institutional Accreditation: Distance Education Accrediting Commission (DEAC): 1101 17th Street NW, Suite 808, Washington, D.C. 20036, 202.234.5100. Candidate for Institutional Accreditation: Higher Learning Commission (HLC): 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL, 60604 (800) 621-7440. (MBA Healthcare Project-Based program is pending review for inclusion in the university’s programs covered by the Higher Learning Commission designation of candidate for accreditation.)
- Programmatic Accreditation: American Sentinel’s RN to BSN, RN to BSN/MSN and Master of Science Nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), 655 K Street, NW, Suite 750, Washington, DC 20001, (202) 887-6791. Recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a specialized professional accreditation agency, the CCNE is an autonomous branch of the American Association of Colleges of Nursing. American Sentinel’s Doctor of Nursing Practice program with four specializations is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN): 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326, (404) 975-5000.
- Programs: six online bachelor’s and master’s degree programs with no residency requirements; one certificate program with no residency requirement; one online doctoral degree program (with four specializations) with one four-day residency. (In order to focus its program offerings on healthcare, American Sentinel discontinued programs in Business, Computer Science, Geographic Information Systems, and Management Information Systems between 2011 and 2015.)
- Student enrollment (as of December 31, 2018): 2,463 students
- Alumni (based on students enrolled since 2006 and as of December 31, 2018): over 6,909 worldwide
- Faculty: 180+ full-time and adjunct faculty members (more than 70 percent hold doctorates)
- Staff: 90+ academic administrators and staff
- Headquarters: Aurora, Colorado
- Student satisfaction: 98 percent based on Student Satisfaction Survey 2018
*American Sentinel University, Inc. operates in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of American Learning Solutions, Inc., (ALS). ALS has no role in nominating or confirming members of the American Sentinel University’s Board of Trust, a self-governing body that operates in accordance with the American Sentinel University Amended and Restated Charter of the Board of Trustees.
Your Guide to American Sentinel University
- our degree and certificate programs,
- application process,
- financial aid options and
- what makes us, us – like our stellar student support services.