Dr. Karen Whitham, Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Nursing Programs at American Sentinel shares her top ten tips for balancing school and family.
Top 10 Tips for Balancing School and Family
- Be positive: see the opportunity and not the obstacle
- Take care of yourself: eat well, sleep well, and exercise
- Perfection? Let it go!: be okay with simply doing your best
- Plan, plan, plan: use a calendar to keep track of important family, work, and school obligations
- Just say NO: add “no” to your vocabulary – it’s okay to not be everything for everyone
- Have a social life: keep family and friends close, they can be so helpful and supportive during your educational journey
- Enjoy your downtime: when you do have downtime, enjoy it – don’t worry about the work that is in the future
- Make time for family: your family can be your biggest advocate and will enjoy the process with you, but they have to be at the top of your list
- Set goals: mark your graduation date on your calendar, and set small goals (so as not to become overwhelmed); all these small goals add up to big achievements
- Reward yourself: when you finish a course or a particularly difficult assignment, congratulate yourself with a special reward.