New York Nurse Earns BSN, Begins MSN, Case Management

When Marina Rogova received a student exchange Visa to come to the United States from her home country of Ukraine, she was in the middle of college at Kharkiv National Automobile and Highway University studying international economics. “I took the opportunity to come here to experience something new,” says Marina, who spent a year in South Carolina before moving to New York City. There, she waitressed for five years before making the decision to return to college—but this time, to nursing school.

Next stop: City University of New York

Drawing on a longtime interest in the medical field, in late 2014, Marina applied and was accepted to the Associate Degree of Nursing program at Medgar Evers College, City University of New York. She graduated in 2016. To gain experience, she earned her Certified Nursing Assistant credential and worked for a short time in an adult daycare center in Brooklyn before getting a foot in the door at a gastroenterology and tropical medicine office in Manhattan. Marina started as an intern, worked as a medical assistant while in nursing school, and became a staff nurse in August 2016 after graduating—a role she holds today.

Bolstering her experience with the BSN

When her coworker at the gastroenterologist’s office encouraged Marina to explore American Sentinel University, where she had recently finished a BSN, Marina was immediately interested. “I got a good feeling about the university and was impressed with its reputation,” she says. “The classes looked perfect for me, and I liked the eight-week sessions and the fact that I could earn the degree on my time.” Within a month of graduating with the associate degree, Marina started the BSN. She was awarded the Yes You CANN scholarship from American Sentinel. Marina graduated in August 2017 with an impressive 4.0 GPA.

Onward for an MSN

Marina decided last summer she would continue on for an MSN in case management and based on her great BSN experience, she considered only one school: American Sentinel. “Today, the MSN is strongly encouraged if you’re planning to move up in nursing,” she says. Although her current practice is small, she feels that a case management specialization will help her manage patient care more effectively and prepare her for future roles. “I really like the MSN program so far, and the classes are energizing. I think this is a specialty that will add to my skill set.” Marina plans to graduate in November 2018.

An eye on the future

Once she graduates from the MSN program, Marina hopes to enroll in a Nurse Practitioner program. “I love what I do, and I work with a smart, amazing doctor who I learn so much from,” she says. She dreams of having a private practice of her own one day. “The ability to plan your patients’ plan of care is something I really enjoy. With a BSN, MSN, and down the road, the Nurse Practitioner, I’ll be able to do more as a nurse.”

Inspired by Marina’s story? A BSN is ideal for nurses who want to expand their knowledge base, become more marketable and enjoy greater career stability and mobility. Specialized knowledge forms the foundation of nursing and when you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes.

Tagged as , , , , ,