Q&A with American Sentinel’s RN to BSN Chair

Joanne Nanavaty, EdD, MSN, RN
Chair, RN to BSN Program
Assistant Professor of Nursing

What is your nursing background?

I have been an Assistant Professor of Nursing for American Sentinel University for two years as a full-time faculty member.  Prior to this, I was an adjunct for six years.  I have taught in LPN programs and was a Lead Instructor for a LPN program.  My background also includes working as a staff nurse in a hospital, school nursing, public health, and a coordinator of prevention and education programs.

What are you most looking forward to doing in your program chair role?

As a Chair of the RN to BSN program, I am looking forward to the creative and innovative ways that faculty will use to enhance courses for student learning as we move towards the empowered, digital classroom.

Why did you decide to become a nurse?

I have always been interested in science and health and loved teaching people about these areas.  I felt that I could better educate on health topics if I had the medical knowledge and background, so I got my nursing degree.  I continued to pursue my love of teaching by pursuing my masters and doctorate degrees which allow me to educate my fellow nurses as they grow in the profession.

Where do you live?

I live in Connecticut and have been here all my life.

What fictional place would you most like to go?

The fictional place I would most like to go is Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory.  I love chocolate.  If I could eat as much as I wanted and not gain an ounce, I would be very happy.

What’s your favorite genre of book or movie?

I don’t necessarily have a favorite genre of books.  If it is a good story and captures my attention, I’ll read it!

Accelerated, Affordable, Accessible RN to BSN Program

American Sentinel offers two ways to complete your RN to BSN program. A traditional course-based program that has an average completion time of 30 months and a non-traditional competency-based program that can be completed in as little as 8 months. The fastest way to earn your online BSN depends on your learning style and life circumstances. Our advisors are uniquely qualified to help you choose the best path for you. Learn more about our RN to BSN program.

Nurse Keith: Silencing Your Inner Nurse Critic
FAQs about Nurse Practitioners