Q&A with American Sentinel’s Scholarship and Research Chair

What is your nursing/teaching background?

I have been a nurse for 30 years this June. I started in Pediatrics but spent most of my time in acute and chronic dialysis. I started teaching as a dialysis staff educator.  I have been teaching for over 15 years.  I have taught in LPN, pre-licensure ADN and BSN programs, I also taught briefly in a medical assistant program.  I came to American Sentinel University as an adjunct professor and have been at the University full-time for more than 5 years.

What are you most looking forward to doing in your program chair role?

I am most looking forward to working with students and faculty members on their scholarship and research work. American Sentinel University faculty members and students are doing amazing research projects and I am lucky enough to get to help them with design, methods and statistics.

Why did you decide to become a nurse?

I became a nurse for a few reasons. I became a nurse because I wanted to take care of people. I also became a nurse because my grandma was a nurse and she made nursing look extremely rewarding. Lastly, I became a nurse because I was raised by a single mom and I saw her struggle with money, I wanted a career that would allow me to support myself.

Where do you live?

I live in Litchfield Township, Ohio.  Litchfield is a rural community about 45 minutes from downtown Cleveland.

What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you?

The luckiest things that ever happened to me were marrying my husband, having my children, and getting to work for such an amazing university that is innovative and listens to and values the ideas of the faculty members.

Doctoral Degrees in Nursing

American Sentinel University offers an online Doctor of Nursing Practice program for nurse leaders and educators seeking a practice-focused degree that will help them gain the credibility, management skills, credentials and industry knowledge they need in today’s rapidly changing healthcare environment.

Our DNP degree program features the flexibility of online learning, experienced faculty with significant nursing leadership and educational experience, and a nationwide representation of students to learn and grow with.

Choose from four Online DNP Program Specializations:

Why Earn a DNP Degree?