New York Quality Assurance Director Continues American Sentinel Education with MBA Healthcare

In 2001, an opportunity came Claudia Jurjita’s way that would change her life forever: she was issued a visa to emigrate to the United States. 

“I was 26 years old, ready to take my chance,” says Claudia, who was born and raised in Romania. As a Doctor of Medicine in her home country, her plan once she settled in New York was to continue practicing medicine—but she quickly learned that the path would be more difficult than she realized. 

Nursing school 

In time, Claudia learned to speak English and decided to continue in healthcare, but in nursing instead. She followed a friend into nursing school at St. Vincent Catholic Medical School and graduated in 2009. While attending school there, an American Sentinel University representative came to campus to share more about the RN to BSN programs. Claudia was intrigued. 

“I learned that I would be able to transfer my credits there and earn a BSN, and I was so excited,” she says. “I knew how important the BSN was becoming in the U.S. to be marketable, and American Sentinel’s structure seemed like it would fit my life well.” In 2009, Claudia enrolled at American Sentinel. 

Gaining experience

While in nursing school, Claudia worked at a plastic surgery clinic. After graduating, she got a job as a Minimum Data Set (MDS) assessor, a role in which she assessed the quality of care provided by healthcare providers. After graduating with the BSN in 2010, Claudia was hired by the Schulman and Schachne Institute for Nursing and Rehabilitation at Brookdale University Hospital in Brooklyn as an MDS and quality assurance performance improvement supervisor. “I was really excited about the opportunity,” she says. After just nine months, Claudia was promoted to director of quality assurance and performance improvement. 

Continuing her education at American Sentinel

Throughout her career at Schulman and Schachne, Claudia learned that in order to continue advancing as a manager in the state of New York, a master’s degree would be a wise investment. “My boss said I should consider the Nursing Home Administrator license, and in order to do that you need a master’s degree as well.” 

That led Claudia to research master’s degree programs, and after deciding to return to American Sentinel for her studies, she chose an MBA over an MSN. “I am really interested in the leadership path and I enjoy where my career has led me so far, so it seemed to me that the MBA made the most sense for my goals,” she says. In 2018, Claudia started the MBA Healthcare at American Sentinel. “I have been learning all about quality, performance improvement, finance and other things that I actually do in my job today. It’s a great fit.” 

Next step: Nursing Home Administration

This month, Claudia completed the MBA Healthcare. She will sit for the Nursing Home Administrator licensure exam in May 2020. “Healthcare is changing all the time,” she says. “I believe that the MBA Healthcare combined with my experience and passion will help me achieve my goals. I have learned a lot at American Sentinel. Now I want to be a better leader for my staff, which will ultimately help patients.” 

Inspired by Claudia’s story? An MBA Healthcare is perfect for healthcare professionals seeking to lead in the rapidly evolving healthcare industry. Specialized knowledge forms the foundation of nursing and when you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes.

Colorado Cancer Clinical Researcher Earns BSN
New Jersey Nurse Works Toward Life Milestone with BSN