Oregon Nurse Entrepreneur with Education, Health Coaching, Clinical Care, and Business Experience Enters DNP Educational Leadership Program

In 2017, Yvonne Myette reconnected on Facebook with a college sorority sister with whom she had gone to the University of Michigan over three decades before. “Elaine Foster [Dean, Nursing & Healthcare Programs] and I were both in the School of Nursing, although a few years apart,” says Yvonne, who grew up in Oregon but went to college in Michigan. “When I learned that she was the dean of nursing at American Sentinel University, I shared with her that working in academia was something I had always thought of doing myself.” 

Successful in her own right 

At that point, Yvonne had earned dual degrees from Portland State University/Oregon Health Sciences University—an MPA in Healthcare Administration and an MSN. She spent her early nursing career working in intensive care and critical intensive care units before joining Arthur Andersen’s healthcare consulting practice as a manager. Later, she helped start a clinical consulting practice within an information systems company. Yvonne’s clinical consulting career took her all over the U.S., and she eventually founded her own consulting company, working with many healthcare and nursing organizations. 

From Kaiser Permanente to public health and health coaching

In the early-2000s, Yvonne joined Kaiser Permanente as a director of performance improvement for service in the San Francisco Bay area, during which time she gave birth to twins. When family circumstances changed, she pursued a similar position in the Pacific Northwest so the family could move back to Oregon. Over the next decade, she had two more children and earned an opportunity to lead a clinical turnaround situation in large home health unit. She followed her heart into public health, joining the Multnomah County Health Department as the quality director of integrated clinical services in 2013.  

Around the same time, Yvonne started working as a certified health coach, helping people reverse conditions of disease and achieve optimal wellbeing. “I was making big life changes myself,” says Yvonne, who went through a divorce and was redesigning her life around her faith and raising her four young children. “I wanted to intentionally build my life a brick at a time, do meaningful work, support my family and thrive.” 

Joining American Sentinel University as an Adjunct

In 2017, Yvonne started teaching as an adjunct professor at American Sentinel University. Soon, she also started working as a contract school nurse, got state certified as a long-term care nurse, and became certified to teach First Aid/CPR classes for companies in the community. 

For years, Yvonne had dreamed of earning a doctorate. “It was something I thought I’d do by 40, but other priorities came along, and it wasn’t realistic,” she says. “Because I was teaching at American Sentinel, I got familiar with the Doctor of Nursing program too, and it impressed me. I knew I wanted to become a faculty member who could teach at any level, and I knew that I’d need a doctorate.” She started the DNP Educational Leadership in winter 2019—now both a student and a teacher at American Sentinel. In 2020, Yvonne became a part-time instructor with the SIMPath® program, and she continues to work in her clinical roles. 

Goals for the future

Yvonne would like to join American Sentinel’s faculty full time one day and teach students at all levels. Her DNP capstone project focuses on how an informational debriefing seminar might impact online nursing educators’ attitudes and decisions to implement debriefing in their virtual clinical simulation classrooms. 

Throughout her career, she has always strived to make an impact—and that won’t stop. “I’m a servant leader at heart,” she says. “I’m excited to be part of the nursing education community that is continuing to deliver online education amid the COVID-19 situation. I truly feel that American Sentinel is at the leading frontier of best practices and student support. Instructors are incredibly supportive and invested, and I’m excited and honored that I can say I’m one of them.” 

Inspired by Yvonne’s story? A DNP with a specialization in educational leadership prepares master’s-educated nurses for leadership roles in nursing education programs. When you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes.

North Carolina Nurse Supervisor and Instructor Nears Finish Line of DNP Educational Leadership
Clinical Educator Gets Inspired to Earn Doctor of Nursing Practice Educational Leadership