Community Hospital Nurse Aims Higher with MSN Nursing Management and Organizational Leadership

Deborah Igbinosa started her nursing career in her in her home country of Nigeria at Faith Mediplex Hospital in Benin, Nigeria, in 2003, following in the footsteps of her brother’s fiancé. “I had always admired her and thought about how I loved helping people live healthier lives as well,” says Deborah, who was educated at the University of Benin Teaching Hospital in her hometown. 

But when the opportunity arose to come to the United States in 2008, Deborah jumped at it. She moved to Moreno Valley, California, and essentially started over. She earned the credentials she needed to practice, passed the NCLEX, and resumed her nursing career in 2010 as a supervisor at Highland Palms Healthcare Center, a short-term rehabilitation and skilled nursing home in Highland, California.

Redlands Community Hospital

In 2012, Deborah decided to expand her experience and joined Redlands Community Hospital, where she works in the telemetry cardiac unit. She continued to work weekends at Highland Palms. Joining Redlands Community, she says, got her thinking about furthering her education. 

“The hospital was applying to become a Magnet facility and they were encouraging all of us nurses to get bachelor’s degrees,” says Deborah. She started asking colleagues what their educational plans were, and was encouraged by one to explore the BSN program at American Sentinel University, where he was also a student.

A great fit

“As I researched American Sentinel, I liked what I saw,” says Deborah. She enrolled in the BSN program in 2014, and felt the benefits right away. “From the very first class, I gained a lot of knowledge about the application of critical thinking,” she says. “I became better at applying my knowledge to resolve issues at work. It was a really great experience. I learned a lot, and being in school built my confidence.”

Back again for an MSN

Deborah graduated from American Sentinel in 2016. The positive experience of the BSN program is what encouraged Deborah to go back to American Sentinel in early 2019 for an MSN in Nursing Management and Organizational Leadership

“I wasn’t fulfilled yet,” she says. “My decision to earn a master’s degree was based on my desire to aim higher in life. I just didn’t want to stop learning when I know I can do more in my career and as a nurse treating patients. I know that the MSN will benefit me and help me achieve my goals. Whether opportunities for promotions come up here or something else, I know that an MSN will make me more marketable.” 

An eye on the future

Deborah hopes to complete the MSN nursing management and organizational leadership in summer 2021. 

“I enjoy where I’m working at Redlands Community, but it’s always good to secure your future and make sure you can take advantage of opportunities when they come up,” she says. “One day I would love to be a unit manager or a director. But whatever I do, I want to affect change in the right way. And I know that having an MSN degree will open up more opportunities to do that.” 

Inspired by Deborah’s story? An MSN program can be your passport to a specialty nursing field, like nursing educationinformatics, nursing management and organizational leadership, infection control, or case management. Specialized knowledge forms the foundation of these nursing fields. When you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes.

Nurse-Manager-Turned-Educator Pursues DNP Educational Leadership
Susan Bosworth, Vanderbilt University Medical Center | Nurse Professional Development Specialist