Susan Bosworth, Vanderbilt University Medical Center | Nurse Professional Development Specialist

Year of the Nurse Scholarship recipient

When Susan Bosworth started her nursing career in 2007 at Rose Medical Center in Denver, Colorado, she loved everything about it. But when she accepted an adjunct clinical instructor position at Front Range Community College in 2011— just after finishing an MSN Family Nurse Practitioner program at the University of Colorado Health and Science Center— her passion for nursing reached a whole new level.

“Becoming a nurse for me was all about helping people,” says Susan, who moved around the country as a child but ended up at Cedarville University for college, where she earned a BSN. “As I moved into education, I realized there’s something really special about nursing education and professional development. Just as was done for me when I was a new nurse, I love helping nurses find their path.” 

A start in communicable diseases

After five years in Denver at Rose Medical, Susan had the opportunity to join the University of Maryland School of Nursing as a clinical nurse mentor. In collaboration with Rwanda Health and Human Resources and the University of Rwanda, she lived overseas and worked to develop the accident/emergency curriculum of a physical assessment class. She also helped King Faisal Hospital develop its staff education and training program. 

That’s when the spark happened: Susan knew she wanted to earn a doctorate at some point in her career.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center

Susan returned to the U.S. by way of Nashville in 2014. She joined Vanderbilt University Medical Center in the Nursing Education and Professional Development Department. She has been involved in multiple programs within the department: student placement, orientation, certification and continuing education. Today, she is the training coordinator for the Communicable Disease Response Unit that is currently responding to the COVID-19 pandemic. She also serves as the nurse residency program director.

“It is very gratifying work,” she says. “My role is to coordinate and facilitate interprofessional training, ensure competency and meeting of regulatory standards and keep the nurses up to date on current evidence and resources.” 

Turning to American Sentinel University

Eventually, Susan decided that it was time to pursue her dream of education. She began her research and discovered American Sentinel University, and its focus on educational leadership sealed the deal. “I chose American Sentinel because it provided the flexibility, cost-effectiveness, and quality of education to meet my goals,” she says.

For Susan, earning a Doctor of Nursing practice is an essential step in her journey to lead. “When I started thinking about going back to school, my goal was to prepare myself for future opportunities that arise,” she says. “I am very passionate about professional development for nurses as they advance through their careers. I am excited about the doors that might open with a DNP.” 

Year of the Nurse Scholarship recipient

Shortly after starting her course work, Susan applied for and was the recipient of the Year of the Nurse Scholarship. To receive a scholarship during the World Health Organization’s Year of the Nurse and Midwife, she says, is especially meaningful. “Financial support is helpful, but I’m proud to receive a scholarship named after an honorary celebration that acknowledges how important nurses are in the world,” she says. 

An eye on the future

As for where her career will take her next, Susan is keeping an open mind and heart. “Succession planning and mentoring have always been my passion within nursing,” she says. “When I was a new nurse, this took the form of involvement in patient education and precepting. Now it involves leading programs and mentoring new nurses in the profession.” 

Every day, Susan is inspired by the work that is being done by nurses around the world. “I look forward to how this degree will enhance my professional career through ongoing education and leadership. While I do not know exactly where it will lead, I am excited about the professional development and opportunities this program offers. I have already seen an impact and applicability in my practice from the first few classes I’ve been a part of at American Sentinel.”

The World Health Organization (WHO) has designated 2020 as the “Year of the Nurse and Midwife” and American Sentinel is celebrating by offering a Year of the Nurse Scholarship. Five scholarships are awarded per quarter in 2020. Congratulations to this quarter’s recipients. Learn more and apply here

Community Hospital Nurse Aims Higher with MSN Nursing Management and Organizational Leadership
Caldwell Lewin, St. Bernard Parish Hospital, Ochsner Health System | Director of Perioperative Services and Infection Preventionist