Steven Gura | Pediatric Nurse, Port Huron Hospital

Year of the Nurse Scholarship Recipient

Steven Gura knew from the start of his nursing career that pediatrics was where he belonged. The 23-year nurse and Michigan native started his career at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital-Oakland, working on a busy pediatric unit with cross-training in the PICU, NICU and Mother-Baby Unit. “I loved nursing right away and I liked that I’m able to be a positive male role model to young patients and my own children,” he says. 

Steven became a nurse manager of the pediatric unit at St. Joseph Mercy. He stayed in that role until 2002, when he moved to Port Huron Hospital as a floor nurse in pediatrics. He also spent time as the women and children’s case manager and as a clinician nurse with the ability to provide newborn care and screening.  

Advancing his career–and education

In 2012, Steven enrolled in a pediatric Nurse Practitioner program but was unable to juggle a master’s program with his full-time job and life as a father and husband. “I knew I would return one day,” he says. In the meantime, he started teaching pediatric nursing at St. Clair County Community College in 2017. “I liked it so much, I started thinking about whether it might be something I wanted to do full time.”

American Sentinel University

As he became more excited about teaching, Steven started looking into MSN programs focused on nursing education. American Sentinel University is an educational partner of Port Huron Hospital. “I liked the flexibility of the schedule and the MSN Nursing Education curriculum,” he says. He started his course work in 2017, which led to him being hired as a full-time instructor in St. Clair County Community College’s Licensed Practical Nursing program.

Double scholarship winner

As Steven sets his sights on 2021 graduation, he was pleasantly surprised to be a recipient of the Year of the Nurse Scholarship and the Why I’m a Nurse Scholarship. “It meant so much to me to receive this recognition, as I’ve never received a scholarship before,” he says. “I’ve been working diligently, maintaining a 4.0 GPA and it’s just meaningful to have someone recognize that effort. It’s more than the financial reward for me. It is truly an honor.”  

Plans for the future

Steven strives every day to apply what he has learned in the classroom to his job at St. Clair County Community College. 

“It’s been completely eye-opening,” he admits. “I am learning that students all learn so differently. And there are so many steps involved in creating curriculum. The bottom line is that I want to make my workplace better. I feel like I’ll be able to do that now. Before I was an educator; now, as I near the end of my program, I feel like I’m someone who can instigate change.” 

The World Health Organization (WHO) has designated 2020 as the “Year of the Nurse and Midwife” and American Sentinel is celebrating by offering a Year of the Nurse Scholarship. Several scholarships are awarded per quarter in 2020. Congratulations to this quarter’s recipients. Learn more and apply here

Informatics Nurse Wraps Up MSN Nursing Informatics, Looks Toward a Future Making a Difference