Florida Nurse Receives Multiple Job Offers Weeks Before MSN Family Nurse Practitioner Graduation

Jessica Moscoso has always been smart and driven. 

The native of Florida skipped first and eighth grades and graduated high school at the age of 16. “I got an associate degree in psychology by the time I was 18, but my family and friends encouraged me to become a nurse, because I’d been working in doctor’s offices for my entire teenhood,” says Jessica. She followed their advice and became a Licensed Practical Nurse in 2009. 

Starting a career and a family

For seven years, Jessica worked as an LPN in the home health and surgical center settings. She went on to become a Registered Nurse in 2016—something she had intended to do soon after her LPN program, but she got caught up in her work that she loved—and moved into a nursing position at the same surgical health/gastro-intestinal practice where she was an LPN. She moved into the surgical side of the practice and became a rounding nurse at three local hospitals.

And while nursing filled her soul, Jessica always wanted to do more.

“At some point, I started hearing about Nurse Practitioners and what they do, and the physicians in the surgical center where I worked were always encouraging me to do that,” says Jessica. “I loved the idea of working directly with patients closely and helping educate them about disease processes and holistic medicine.” To get where she wanted to go, Jessica knew she needed a BSN. Her research led her to American Sentinel University. 

An affordable BSN program 

At the top of Jessica’s list of important factors was cost, and American Sentinel fit her budget. “I was impressed that they made it affordable but that they don’t sacrifice quality,” she says. “American Sentinel is passionate about helping its students. They want to see you successful and that’s clear from every person you talk to.” 

Graduated in 2018, on to the MSN Family Nurse Practitioner

Jessica graduated from American Sentinel University’s BSN program in 2018 and applied immediately to the MSN Family Nurse Practitioner. “I enjoyed the program and was appreciative that I could continue working the entire time,” she says. In 2017, Jessica joined a home healthcare company as an RN, and became its director of nursing in 2018. “I had a very busy job, but I never felt too overwhelmed because American Sentinel’s professors and student success advisors understand and help. They make you feel like family.” 

Prepared for her next steps

Jessica will graduate with the MSN Family Nurse Practitioner in March 2021 and has already secured a job with a pain management and rehabilitation practice, RegenMed of Florida. “They are Florida’s first mobile physical medicine and rehabilitation clinic,” she says. “Pain management is close to my heart, as my mother has fibromyalgia and polymyalgia rheumatica. So, it felt like my calling to take this job.” Jessica will be the first Nurse Practitioner in the practice, which also has physicians and Physician Assistants.

A testament to American Sentinel

Jessica received four job offers in her final semester of school—all connections she made locally and through her preceptorships. “I feel like that’s a testament to American Sentinel because they molded a great student and taught me what I know!” she says. 

As for her future, she hasn’t ruled out the idea of a doctorate one day, but for now, she wants to pass her AANP and enjoy her success. “I’m so excited to graduate and feel thrilled and blessed about my new job,” she says. “It is a rewarding path I’m on and makes the work I’ve put into all of this so worth it.”

Inspired by Jessica’s story? An MSN program can be your passport to a specialty nursing field, like nursing educationinformatics, nursing management and organizational leadership, infection control, or case management. Specialized knowledge forms the foundation of these nursing fields. When you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes.

By clicking the button above, Post University has your consent to use automated technology to call, text and email you regarding its educational services at the contact information provided above. It is not a requirement to provide this consent to attend Post University. Post University’s Terms and Privacy Policy apply.

Year of the Nurse Scholar: Natalie Root
Rural Health Scholar: Mary Long