Pennsylvania Healthcare Professional Transitions into Infection Prevention

Caring for others is something Emile Shumbusho has done from the time he was a young boy growing up in war-torn Rwanda. 

“At eight years old, my family and I fled to the Congo, and my brother became sick with a preventable, communicable disease and I lost my grandmother to same disease,” he says. The state of healthcare in his country was so concerning that Emile decided he wanted to make a change. He returned to Rwanda after the situation improved, went to medical school and earned a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery at the University of Rwanda in 2013, the equivalent of a Doctor of Medicine degree in the United States.

An opportunity to move to the U.S.

After practicing for eight months in Rwanda, Emile joined his fiancé in the United States—who was in medical school—with plans to continue practicing medicine. The differences in the American healthcare system and requirements to practice, however, made things complicated, so instead Emile enrolled in a Master of Public Health program at Wright State University and graduated in 2017.

Research assistant at the University of Texas Health San Antonio

When Emile’s wife—who joined the Army as a medical student—started her residency at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Emile started working with the University of Texas Health San Antonio as a research apprentice. As he continued studying for his American medical exams and applying to residencies, Emile found himself becoming fascinated by public health. He got a job at Metropolitan Methodist Hospital as an infection preventionist and enjoyed it so much he decided to boost his resume with further education. 

Infection Prevention and Control Certificate 

“I started looking around for infection prevention and control programs that would supplement my experience and found American Sentinel University,” Emile says. “I liked that it was a graduate-level certificate that I could earn as someone who isn’t a nurse but is interested in this area. And the university’s tuition reduction for military members and their families was a big attraction.” Emile enrolled in September 2019 and finished the program in November 2020. 

With the new credential, Emile was qualified for an exciting new position when he and his wife moved to upstate New York, where she is now an attending OBGYN physician at Fort Drum Army Base. Emile joined Homeland Center, a skilled nursing facility in Pennsylvania as its director of infection prevention. “So far I love it,” he says. “I use all the tools I have gained throughout my career and also at American Sentinel.” Emile is currently preparing for his Certified Infection Preventionist exam. 

A program that fit his life

Emile says that his educational experience at American Sentinel was everything he hoped it would be. “I was pretty new to infection control, so I had a lot to learn and I definitely learned so much,” he says. “I improved my critical thinking and everything else.” 

Although he loves his new job, Emile hasn’t given up on his dream of practicing as a doctor once again. He will continue to pursue the possibility of a medical residency while continuing in his infection control position. “I want to teach my children that if you want something, you keep trying, and I won’t give up on that pursuit, but I really am happy in my infection prevention career,” he says. “In my role, there is no shortage of people to help, which is what got me into medicine in the first place. I can do that now, and apply my knowledge and background as a public health officer.” 

Inspired by Emile’s story? An MSN program can be your passport to a specialty nursing field, like nursing educationinformatics, nursing management and organizational leadership, or infection control. Specialized knowledge forms the foundation of these nursing fields. When you acquire new knowledge, you can apply it to nursing practice in ways that enhance patient care and improve outcomes. 

By clicking the button above, Post University has your consent to use automated technology to call, text and email you regarding its educational services at the contact information provided above. It is not a requirement to provide this consent to attend Post University. Post University’s Terms and Privacy Policy apply.

Year of the Nurse Scholar: Heather Knoblauch
Florida Nurse Educator Works Toward DNP Educational Leadership