Take Your Next Steps Now
Learn More About Our DNP Program
Select “Doctor of Nursing Practice, Informatics Leadership” and fill out the form below to learn more about our DNP Program.
DNP Informatics Leadership Degree
Our Doctor of Nursing Practice with specialization in informatics leadership is designed for master’s-educated nurses to lead informatics in today’s healthcare systems. Nurses with informatics leadership experience and education serve as the clinical health IT advisor to the executive leadership team, educating them on application use and change implementation for optimized patient care. Often called the Chief Nursing Informatics Officer, they speak for bedside clinicians, implement and optimize the use of health IT, coordinate and educate on the strategic and organizational use of technology, and understand the technology’s impact on patients.
As one of a select few online DNP Informatics programs in the country, our degree program emphasizes critical thinking and advanced management and leadership skills. Students also benefit from interactions with nursing leaders from top U.S. healthcare organizations around the country such as Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, UCLA Medical Center, Geisinger Health System and Spectrum Health System.
DNP Open House
Mon., May 20, 1:00-2:00 p.m. MDT
Informatics Leadership is crucial for today’s healthcare.
Flexible and Fast Program
Graduate of the DNP, Informatics Leadership Specialization will be able to:
The curriculum is kept up-to-date, so students are prepared to deal with current issues in healthcare. Our program is accredited by ACEN, an accreditation valued by leading healthcare organizations.
DNP Informatics Leadership Course Highlights
Our rigorous curriculum covers a breadth of issues in nursing and healthcare, giving nurses the foundation and skills to lead their organizations. Here are a few of the courses for the online DNP informatics program:
DNP Informatics Leadership
Completion of the DNP, informatics leadership specialization degree requires 42 credit hours. The expected length of the program is just over two years. The program is structured to have two short residencies (one onsite, one virtual), with the remainder of courses offered online in eight week modules.
View more information on DNP practice experiences
Nurses without an MSN that only want the DNP
* credit hours are equivalent to semester hours
** residency courses
*** contact your SSA before registration
The mission of the DNP program is to prepare highly qualified nurse leaders and nurse educators to serve in competitive healthcare and higher education settings.
Practice Experiences: A More Active Way to Learn
The online DNP program at American Sentinel University includes practice experiences. This is done to meet the accreditor requirement that RN to BSN, RN to MSN, MSN or DNP programs include practice experiences in the curricula to enable students to achieve the required educational competencies (AACN White Paper, Oct. 2012; DNP Essentials for Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice, 2006; ACEN 2013 Standards). These practice experiences have specific objectives, expected outcomes and competencies.
Practice experiences are not like the clinical experiences you completed to obtain your degree to become a registered nurse. Practice experiences do not involve hands-on patient care. They are designed to provide you with the opportunity to apply the concepts and knowledge you learn in the nursing courses. Practice experiences are an opportunity to get away from traditional reading and writing assignments; instead these assignments are replaced with more active assignments
DNP classes are online and designed for working professionals, giving you the convenience and control to participate in classes around your busy schedule.
Classes are only eight weeks in length
MySentinel® Student Support is our distinctive personal approach to helping students succeed. As a DNP student, you will work exclusively with our fantastic student success advisors, Abigail and Aaron, who will help guide you through graduation.
Our competitive tuition rates, various payment options and DNP Travel Assistance Program allow most of our students to graduate debt-free.*
* Based on 2017 data. This figure includes graduates paying out of pocket for their education and those receiving tuition reimbursement from their employer. The University also offers payment plans financed over four or nine-month increments depending on program of study that will allow a participant to graduate debt free.
We have educated students at some of the top healthcare organizations in the country: Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Geisinger Health System, Johns Hopkins University, Kindred Healthcare, and the list goes on. These students along with many more have achieved personal goals, and new positions with their DNP, educational leadership specialization from American Sentinel University.
The program is open to nursing managers who hold a master’s degree, a BSN and an unencumbered RN license and have a minimum of one-year full-time work experience in an informatics or technology-based nursing leadership role within the last five years.
Nurses in this specialization are not required to have/earn an MSN, so we offer three options:
- Nurses that have an MSN (direct enrollment in the DNP program)
- Nurses that have a master’s in another discipline (e.g. MBA, MHA, MPH, or MEd) and want to earn an MSN and DNP
- Nurses that have a master’s in another discipline but do not want to earn an MSN, just a DNP
- Applicants with a non-nursing master’s complete three bridge courses and 400 total hours of practice experience, and then complete the DNP program. An MSN is not earned in this program. (We highly recommend that if the student wants to teach, they choose the MSN option.)
- Please visit the Bridge-Course and Practicum Workshop page for course details.
What You’ll Get
- Real-world solutions for your organization’s challenges
- Connections to peers at leading organizations around the country
- A deeper understanding of leading the next generation of nurses
- A professional headshot
What You’ll Learn
Graduates of the DNP, Informatics Leadership Specialization program will be able to:
- Appraise the needs of complex organizations as they go through strategic decision making and change implementation.
- Critique roles of leaders and collaborators in planning, providing, and evaluating healthcare.
- Generate strategic plans for organizational change by utilizing theoretical knowledge, meaningful data, and evidence-based practice while being culturally and ethnically sensitive
- Leverage informatics with your clinical knowledge to positively impact systems management and patient outcomes, and
- The ability to lead information systems into health care systems and clinical settings while working with leadership peers in various departments