DNP Informatics Leadership Degree
Our Doctor of Nursing Practice with specialization in informatics leadership is designed for master’s-educated nurses to lead informatics in today’s healthcare systems. Nurses with informatics leadership experience and education serve as the clinical health IT advisor to the executive leadership team, educating them on application use and change implementation for optimized patient care. Often called the Chief Nursing Informatics Officer, they speak for bedside clinicians, implement and optimize the use of health IT, coordinate and educate on the strategic and organizational use of technology, and understand the technology’s impact on patients.
As one of a select few online DNP Informatics programs in the country, our degree program emphasizes critical thinking and advanced management and leadership skills. Students also benefit from interactions with nursing leaders from top U.S. healthcare organizations around the country such as Mayo Clinic, Johns Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic, UCLA Medical Center, Geisinger Health System and Spectrum Health System.
Join an upcoming DNP Q&A webinar!
COVID-19: We’ve implemented course accommodations to support you while you are doing so much to care for your communities.
Flexible and Fast Program
- For nurses with an MSN, program is only 2 years and 4 months long with rolling admission
- 100% online
- No residency
Affordable Tuition So You Can Earn Your DNP, Debt-Free*
Graduate of the DNP, Informatics Leadership Specialization will be able to:
- Promote efficiencies within the healthcare system using electronic data analytics.
- Use nursing informatics concepts to improve evidence-based clinical practice.
- Evaluate health services and policies that impact the care of diverse populations using epidemiologic analytical techniques.
- Predict trends in healthcare data using various statistical modeling techniques.
The curriculum is kept up-to-date, so students are prepared to deal with current issues in healthcare. Our program is accredited by ACEN, an accreditation valued by leading healthcare organizations.
The mission of the DNP program is to prepare highly qualified nurse leaders and nurse educators to serve in competitive healthcare and higher education settings.
DNP Informatics Leadership Course Highlights
Our rigorous curriculum covers a breadth of issues in nursing and healthcare, giving nurses the foundation and skills to lead their organizations. Here are a few of the courses for the online DNP informatics program:
- Perspectives on Nursing Informatics (N751PE): Provides students with a history of the evolution of nursing informatics by highlighting several major landmark events that influenced the introduction of technology and information management to the profession of nursing.
- Application of Nursing Informatics in Clinical Practice (N752PE): Prepares students to apply nursing informatics concepts to clinical practice strategies for managing issues that occur within and among health care systems. Students will learn to guide the operation of clinical informatics practice. This implementation and application of informatics in clinical practice will focus on patient safety, ethics, knowledge transfer, telehealth and workflow issues.
- Application of Nursing Informatics in Administration, Leadership and Management (N753PE): Focuses on the applications and implications of 21st information technology for nursing leadership and management. The use of electronic data to promote efficiencies, economies of scale, evidence based practice and meaningful use will be examined. Systems that measure organizational performance, service quality, appropriateness of care delivery, and cost of services will be explored and analyzed.
DNP Informatics Leadership Curriculum
Completion of the DNP, informatics leadership specialization degree requires 42 credit hours. The expected length of the program is just over two years.
Nurses without an MSN that only want the DNP
- Applicants with a non-nursing master’s complete three bridge courses, 400 total hours of practice experience, and then are admitted to the DNP program. An MSN is not earned in this program. (We highly recommend that if the student wants to teach, they choose the MSN option.)
- Please visit the Bridge-Course and Practicum Workshop page for course details.
* credit hours are equivalent to semester hours
*** contact your Student Success Advisor before registration
Practice Experiences: A More Active Way to Learn
The online DNP program at American Sentinel University includes practice experiences. This is done to meet the accreditor requirement that RN to BSN, RN to MSN, MSN or DNP programs include practice experiences in the curricula to enable students to achieve the required educational competencies (AACN White Paper, Oct. 2012; DNP Essentials for Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice, 2006; ACEN 2013 Standards). These practice experiences have specific objectives, expected outcomes and competencies.
Practice experiences are not like the clinical experiences you completed to obtain your degree to become a registered nurse. Practice experiences do not involve hands-on patient care. They are designed to provide you with the opportunity to apply the concepts and knowledge you learn in the nursing courses. Practice experiences are an opportunity to get away from traditional reading and writing assignments; instead these assignments are replaced with more active assignments
Why Choose American Sentinel
DNP classes are online and designed for working professionals, giving you the convenience and control to participate in classes around your busy schedule.
Classes are only eight weeks in length.
MySentinel® Student Support is our distinctive personal approach to helping students succeed. As a DNP student, you will work exclusively with our fantastic student success advisors, Anna and Aaron, who will help guide you through graduation.
Our competitive tuition rates and various payment options allow most of our students to graduate debt-free.*
* Based on 2019 data. This figure includes graduates paying out of pocket for their education and those receiving tuition reimbursement from their employer. The University also offers payment plans financed over four or nine-month increments depending on program of study that will allow a participant to graduate debt free.
We have educated students at some of the top healthcare organizations in the country: Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Geisinger Health System, Johns Hopkins University, Kindred Healthcare, and the list goes on. These students along with many more have achieved personal goals, and new positions with their DNP, informatics leadership specialization from American Sentinel University.
Are You Eligible?
For information on program eligibility requirements, please visit the Doctoral Program Admissions Requirements page.
What You’ll Get
- Real-world solutions for your organization’s challenges
- Connections to peers at leading organizations around the country
- A deeper understanding of educating the next generation of nurses
What You’ll Learn
Graduates of the DNP, Informatics Leadership Specialization program will be able to:
- Appraise the needs of complex organizations as they go through strategic decision making and change implementation.
- Critique roles of leaders and collaborators in planning, providing, and evaluating healthcare.
- Generate strategic plans for organizational change by utilizing theoretical knowledge, meaningful data, and evidence-based practice while being culturally and ethnically sensitive
- Leverage informatics with your clinical knowledge to positively impact systems management and patient outcomes, and
- The ability to lead information systems into health care systems and clinical settings while working with leadership peers in various departments