Customizable Degree Path with DNP in Professional Leadership
The Doctor of Nursing Practice, professional leadership specialization is designed to foster the advanced practice of nursing within a complex health system. This DNP specialization is targeted toward nurses who are looking to customize their specialization courses to fit their career goals. A DNP, Professional Leadership degree can help nurses advanced to a managerial or entrepreneurial role in healthcare systems or smaller clinical settings.
DNP Q&A WebinarThinking about earning your Doctor of Nursing Practice degree with American Sentinel College of Nursing & Health Sciences at Post University? Admissions Services will be hosting an online open house to answer your questions!
Reserve your seat: Thu., Jan. 6: 3-3:30PM MST
Reserve your seat: Thu., Jan. 20, 9:00 - 9:30 a.m. MST
Flexible and Fast Program
- Program is only 2 years and 4 months long with rolling admission
- 100% online
- No residency
- Choose your elective DNP courses based on your career goals instead of a set path
Affordable Tuition So You Can Earn Your DNP, Debt-Free*
In March of 2021, American Sentinel University officially merged with Post University® to become American Sentinel College of Nursing & Health Sciences at Post University. Please pardon our appearance as we update all of our services to reflect our new name.
DNP Professional Leadership Course Highlights
The DNP Professional Leadership Specialization is uniquely structured so nurses take seven courses from the core curriculum, but can then choose the seven specialization courses that best fit their career and educational goals.
- Leadership: Setting the Example (N700PE) Sets the pace of the doctoral program and is focused on executive and educational leadership in a dynamic healthcare environment. Students explore contemporary leadership theories in the context of their own leadership styles, taking into account organizational culture, current health policies and governance complexities. This course includes 30 hours of practice experience activities.
- Health Services Research (N725PE) Builds upon the foundational knowledge required to review and conduct research. Topics include problem and purpose proposals, significance of studies, background information, literature reviews, various study methods and designs, and implications for the profession. Students will develop a plan for research in their area of practice, applying useful knowledge that can be applied in the student’s current role. This course includes 30 hours of practice experiences.
- Strategic Leadership and Planning (N761PE) This course focuses on organizational leadership and strategic planning theories to provide leadership and direction for the growth and success of a diverse healthcare organization, or academic institution. Topics include change management, strategy formulation, leadership development, and exploring the fundamentals of strategic planning through evaluation and implementation. This course includes 90 hours of practice experience activities.
DNP Professional Leadership Specialization Curriculum
Completion of the DNP, professional leadership specialization degree requires 42 credit hours. The expected length of the program is just over two years.
Courses Credit Hours* REQUIRED COURSES (42 credit hours) OR101 Orientation 0 N700PE Leadership: Setting the Example 3 N740PE Capstone Project I** 3 Elective*** 3 N725PE Health Services Research 3 Elective*** 3 N755PE Health Statistics 3 N758PE Advanced Statistics 3 N765PE Capstone Project II** 3 Elective*** 3 Elective*** 3 Elective*** 3 Elective*** 3 Elective*** 3 N761PE Strategic Leadership and Planning 3 Total Required Credits (14 courses) 42
* credit hours are equivalent to semester hours
*** contact your Student Success Advisor before registration
Are You Eligible?
For information on program eligibility requirements, please visit the Doctoral Program Admissions Requirements page.
The mission of the DNP program is to prepare highly qualified nurse leaders and nurse educators to serve in competitive healthcare and higher education settings.
Why Choose American Sentinel
DNP classes are online and designed for working professionals, giving you the convenience and control to participate in classes around your busy schedule.
Classes are only eight weeks in length.
MySentinel® Student Support is our distinctive personal approach to helping students succeed. As a DNP student, you will work exclusively with our fantastic student success advisors, Ashley and Megan, who will help guide you through graduation.
Our competitive tuition rates and various payment options allow most of our students to graduate debt-free.*
* Based on 2019 data. This figure includes graduates paying out of pocket for their education and those receiving tuition reimbursement from their employer. The College also offers payment plans financed over four or nine-month increments depending on program of study that will allow a participant to graduate debt free.
We have educated students at some of the top healthcare organizations in the country: Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic, Geisinger Health System, Johns Hopkins University, Kindred Healthcare, and the list goes on. These students along with many more have achieved personal goals, and new positions with their DNP, professional leadership specialization from American Sentinel.
The online nursing doctoral program in professional leadership at American Sentinel College contains practice experiences. This is done to meet the accreditor requirement that RN to BSN, RN to MSN, MSN or DNP programs include practice experiences in the curricula to enable students to achieve the required educational competencies (AACN White Paper, Oct. 2012; DNP Essentials for Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice, 2006; ACEN 2013 Standards). These practice experiences have specific objectives, expected outcomes and competencies. Practice experiences are an opportunity to get away from traditional reading and writing assignments; instead these assignments are replaced with more active assignments.
Practice experiences are not like the clinical experiences you completed to obtain your degree as a registered nurse. Practice experiences do not involve hands-on patient care. They are designed to provide you with the opportunity to apply the concepts and knowledge you learn in the nursing courses.
What You’ll Get
- Real-world solutions for your organization’s challenges.
- Connections to peers at leading organizations around the country.
What You’ll Learn
- How to utilize evidence-based practice to improve healthcare delivery for individuals, communities and populations.
- The ability to adapt to all settings in the ever-changing healthcare industry.
Graduates of the DNP, professional leadership specialization will be able to:
- Appraise the needs of complex organizations as they go through strategic decision-making and change implementation.
- Critique roles of leaders and collaborators in planning, providing, and evaluating healthcare.
- Generate strategic plans for organizational change by utilizing theoretical knowledge, meaningful, data and evidence-based practice to while being culturally and ethnically sensitive
- Utilize evidence-based data and analytic methods to develop, implement and evaluate best practices to advance healthcare.
- Engage in complex, evidence-based advanced nursing practice and evaluate innovative approaches to care delivery for individuals, communities and populations.