“Informatics is the future of nursing. I knew that further education would give me job security.”
“Healthcare technology is developing at an accelerated rate and I would love to be involved in the evolution”
“The ability to educate and prepare the new generation of nurses for future nursing informatics roles is a goal that I am hoping to achieve”
About Our Online MSN Nursing Informatics Program
Our CCNE-accredited MSN, nursing informatics program prepares nurses to translate health care data into meaningful information, identify opportunities and implement new technologies that improve patient outcomes and reduce risk.
Relevant to Market Needs
- Our MSN program is recognized by U.S. News and Report as being among the “Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs.”
- With a masters in nursing informatics, graduates are prepared to assume critical roles managing health information systems in ambulatory, acute and long-term care settings, as well as the public health environment.
- Our competitive tuition rates and flexible payment options allow most of our students to graduate debt-free.
Flexible Online Format
- Our MSN classes are 100% online and designed for working professionals, giving you the convenience and control to participate in classes around your busy schedule.
- MSN nursing informatics classes are eight weeks in length and start monthly – a benefit you cannot find at most schools.
Nursing Informatics Course Highlights
Our rigorous curriculum covers a breadth of issues in nursing and health care, giving nurses the foundation and skills to expand their practice. Here are a few of the MSN degree program’s key courses:
- Clinical and Administrative Systems (508PE) provides the foundation of clinical information collection, processing, recording, and use to support decision-making in healthcare environments. Emphasis will be placed on compliance with regulatory standards and safety and quality implement efforts. This course includes practice experience hours.
- Health Care Informatics (N535PE) explores development and utilization of health care informatics in the administration of health care agencies and institutions. Focuses on the acquisition of clinical and financial information, information processing, analysis and reporting, and informatics trends. This course includes practice experience hours.
- Informatics Capstone (N555IPE) is the culminating experience for the nursing informatics specialization student. The student develops a detailed plan for evaluating, contracting and implementing a new technology in a health care organization, demonstrating mastery of the nursing informatics specialization objectives.
Our Relevant Nursing Informatics Curriculum
The nursing programs at American Sentinel University contain practice experiences. This is done to meet the accreditor requirement that RN to BSN, RN to MSN, MSN or DNP programs include practice experiences in the curricula to enable students to achieve the required educational competencies (AACN White Paper, Oct. 2012; DNP Essentials for Doctoral Education for Advanced Nursing Practice, 2006; ACEN 2013 Standards). These practice experiences have specific objectives, expected outcomes and competencies.
Practice experiences are not like the clinical experiences you completed to obtain your degree as a registered nurse. Practice experiences do not involve hands-on patient care. They are designed to provide you with the opportunity to apply the concepts and knowledge you learn in the nursing courses.
See MSN Practice Experiences for more information.
What You’ll Learn in Our MSN Nursing Informatics Program
Graduates of master’s in nursing informatics, will be able to:
- Utilize informatics in health care settings to improve patient outcomes.
- Evaluate applications that acquire, process and report clinical and financial information.to enhance patient care.
- Demonstrate data management skills that target opportunities to improve patient safety.
- Develop a detailed project management plan for evaluating, contracting and implementing new technologies to improve health outcomes and reduce risk.
American Sentinel values your privacy. Your information will only be accessible to American Sentinel University.
MSN Open House:Tues., Feb. 16 at 4 p.m. EST
Thinking about earning your Master of Science Nursing degree with American Sentinel University? Our VP of Admissions Natalie Nixon and Dr. Elaine Foster, MSN, RN, associate dean, nursing programs, will be hosting an MSN-specific online open houseReserve Your Seat!